Best way to make a "window" for case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMoose

Yup, it's that crazy Moose again.

And this time I'm trying to figure out the best way to make a plexiglass window for the left side of my case. It's an eMachines T3958.

And no I will not use a chainsaw, as I'm sure some will recommend!

Was wondering if there's anybody who already has done this, and if they'd offer some pointers about what and WHAT NOT to do. Best kind of plexi?

I don't wanna just start cutting away with some tin snips, then hope I come out with something that looks good.

LED fans are like $4 from newegg. I'd like to mount one of those someplace too!

Or maybe four? lol

For a really clear side, try Saran Wrap.
(just kidding, but you could sure see through it).

Ha ha.

But seriously folks, NOBODY has ever tried this?

Here's a shot of the side I'd like to stick window/fan deal.

See the square spot that's already a vent at just above mid-line, but near the rear?

I figured THAT would be where the LED fan thingy should go, and the "window" encompass that area and go forward-ish.

Anybody?

Why spend $50+ on a new case, when a few inches of plexi and some time could make my existing case a little cooler? (both figuratively and literally)

Thank you to all who send a serious response, everybody else can bite my monkey! lol

Attachments

• 100_0483.jpg
    100_0483.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 7
If you take your time and plan a little bit, a really nice job could be done with a small jigsaw with a hacksaw blade. Just drill a hole on the inside of where you want removed( the scrap portion) so as to have a starting point.
Don't get into a rush to see the end result, or you could make a mistake.Seen a few like you describe and can be made really good looking.

www.mnpctech.com

i used their video to the "T" to make my window on my antec 300.

i give this method 2 thumbs up.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpZoE-zj0-k[/ame]

you will need a dremel, a saw, some low tac tape, the window, some trim molding, and some double sided tape.

here is my results following this video

antec300windowmod.jpg

gw!!!

Thank you sooooo much!

This is exactly why I'm loving this forum.

I might just buy one of the kits from crazypc.com though. $13-17? I'm gonna see what plexi costs at Home Depot tomorrow. Price will make the decision FOR me.

WAY cheaper than a new case

But thanks again, bro. I was waiting for somebody to actually answer my question, rather than just try to up their posts count. lol

Like on yahoo answers, when you ask why something happens and people answer "Because it just does" just to get the two friggin' points!

Actually I don't know what that "points" system is
But I'm honestly not interested in upping my posts
I truly believed (and possibly still would do this myself) on buying a new case, ready made

I watched the long video too, it was very informative, The only issue I see is the jigsawing, you would need to be quite steady handed.

Anyway worth a go, I'd like to see the Video of your computer's modification in action ;)

Actually I don't know what that "points" system is
But I'm honestly not interested in upping my posts
I truly believed (and possibly still would do this myself) on buying a new case, ready made

I watched the long video too, it was very informative, The only issue I see is the jigsawing, you would need to be quite steady handed.

Anyway worth a go, I'd like to see the Video of your computer's modification in action ;)

jigsaw felt hard to begin with, but it actually is easy to control, as long as you have the lines drawn before you start, you cant go wrong. just take it slow.

and the trim covers up any mistakes you make to a degree.

in my pic, you can actually see a white spot a few inches to the right of the window.
thats the only mishap i had. the jigsaw blade touched my cutting table and "jumped" off track.

other than not paying attention 100%, the jigsaw was fairly easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back