Beta version of 64-bit Google Chrome now available

Scorpus

Staff member

Google has shifted the 64-bit Windows version of its Chrome browser from the developer channels to the main beta channel, while in the process addressing many issues with stability. If you haven't as yet checked out the long-awaited upgrade, now would be a good time to do so.

The 64-bit version of Chrome is designed to use the full potential of modern processors and their instruction sets, primarily delivering speed boosts of up to 25% when webpages are heavily loaded with media content. Security has also been improved, reducing the damage that can be caused by an exploit.

Moving into the beta channel is the last step for 64-bit Chrome before a final, stable release, which should occur in around six weeks' time. It's unclear if Google will offer the 64-bit version alongside the 32-bit version, or automatically upgrade all eligible users to the 64-bit version when it's released.

Linux users have been blessed by a 64-bit version of Chrome for some time now, however there's no word on whether a Mac version is ready for even an alpha release. Although Google typically updates Chrome on all platforms simultaneously, the 64-bit upgrade has been staggered.

If you want to try out the beta version of Chrome 64-bit for Windows, head to Google's Chrome Beta webpage.

Permalink to story.

IT'S FINALLY COMING! I can't wait to try this out (no, I don't like using beta software, I enjoy everything working smoothly when it comes to my browser), I can only hope it doesn't end up like IEx64.

And here I was assuming Chrome has been 64 bit for the past few years. Oh well as long as it works properly for me I don't care whether it's 2, 4, 8 or 1024Mb.

It has been available for Chromium forever, Chromium is Chrome without the Google spyware. :x

I've been using the 64 bit beta at home for a couple weeks now and it actually has been slower for me. Maybe it is my older Intel E series dual core processor that is the problem. However it has been stable and I haven't had any crashes.

Just uninstallled chrome a few hours ago, magnet links are way to broke on chrome. And the tracking jesus, I search for jesus's age and get spammed by jesus tshirt advertisement.

I was the guest posting about Chromium, apparently my IP is now banned. No idea why I was banned, but my VPN works.

Back