BF2 stuck on 15 fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a major problem and I cannot figure out why.

Specifications:
CPU: Intel 3.0 Ghz HT
RAM: Patriot 4X512 Mb
HD: 2X200 Gb Maxtor PATA
VIDEO: nVidia FX5500 or 6600GT
MODEL: Sony VAIO PCV-RZCG

I have tried setting up the 2 video cards listed in this desktop and another one, which I built with an Intel MB for comparison.
When I run BF2 I get a fixed 15 FPS, the way I mesure the fps is with the following command: "renderer.drawfps 1" in the game console. The fps is fixed it never goes up or down no matter what I do and the game it is extremelly slow.
With a similar configuration on the Intel MB I get normal behavior, fps dependent on the video card as well as the map loaded or the game action and is in average above 30fps.
I have tried several versions of nVidia drivers both for WinMCE or WinXP with the same results. Even if I overclock the video cards I am always stuck on 15fps.
This does not make any sense.
It appears to be a some sort of limitation by either nVidia drivers in WinMCE or even with WinMCE itself.
I have no reason to suspect any installation problems or inteferance from other programs since I tried disabling just about all of them; the only difference it appears to be the OS.

Any toughts? :knock:

The 6600GT should be performing better than this, but the 5500- sounds fairly normal. BF2 is very shader heavy and shader performance for the 5500 is pretty low/poor.

I'd remove the 5500 and concentrate solely on the 6600GT. Use driver cleaner pro (www.drivercleaner.net) and follow it's instructions to ensure drivers for the 5500 are fully removed and try the latest Forceware from NVidia (www.nvidia.com.

Also, make sure you have VSYNC disabled in the drivers and the game. VSYNC can curb framerates unusually depending upon refresh rate. If the resolution/monitor you are playing on is set to 60hz.. 15 fps will be solid for any framerate under 29fps due to vsync. BF2 is a fairly taxing game, so framerates of 25-29 fps may be the case with that system depending on your game settings, with VSYNC locking it at 15fps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back