Bigger iPhone: Apple said to be testing up to 6-inch screens

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple tests iphone screens large inches apple iphone displays screens

The iPhone 5S and 5C haven’t even been announced yet but that isn’t stopping Apple from looking to the future. That future reportedly includes larger displays ranging in size from 4.8-inches up to six inches according to "people familiar with the matter" as reported by the Wall Street Journal.

The current iPhone 5 ships with a 4-inch display, the first handset from Apple to include a bump in display size since the release of the original iPhone way back in 2007. An iPhone with a six inch display would put the handset among the largest on the market, rivaled only by phablets like Samsung’s Galaxy Mega and perhaps a small handful of international devices.

It’s not uncommon for Apple and several other tech firms to test multiple variants of a product before it hits retail. Whether or not Apple would ultimately release devices in multiple sizes remains to be seen but it doesn’t seem likely. Unlike Samsung that’s content to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks, Apple has up to this point been very calculated with their product releases.

If true, however, such a move would mark a turning point for Apple as they continue to explore options to remain relevant in a red hot smartphone market that’s now dominated by Korean rival Samsung. It can be argued that Apple’s last truly innovative product was the iPad which singlehandedly spurred the lucrative tablet market we all know today.

Permalink to story.

The post-Jobs era and this is the innovation we can expect from Apple; candy colors and "what the others are doing". Nice :(

Unlike Samsung that?s content to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks, Apple has up to this point been very calculated with their product releases.

You mean, unlike Samsung, who actually attended marketing 101 and learned that *Spoiler Alert* Different people like different things! *gasp* It's why there are 75 kinds of toothpaste, why shampoo comes for different types of hair in different scents, why cars have multiple options and colors and on and on and on with like every single product everywhere EXCEPT iPhones.

The goal of every company is to have a product designed especially for you (look at the Moto X http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/01/motorola-moto-x-preview/). That means multiple models since personalization isn't very realistic. Apple even used to personally engrave your iPod for you, so this isn't new to them.

Sure Steve Jobs used to say that a phone should be held in one hand, but Samsung has shown us that not everyone thinks like Steve. When the iPhone came out 4G wasn't in it and wi-fi wasn't everywhere. Now people are using their phones for more and more... the bigger screens are preferable for video and media.

Unlike Samsung that?s content to throw everything at the wall to see what sticks, Apple has up to this point been very calculated with their product releases.

You mean, unlike Samsung, who actually attended marketing 101 and learned that *Spoiler Alert* Different people like different things! *gasp* It's why there are 75 kinds of toothpaste, why shampoo comes for different types of hair in different scents, why cars have multiple options and colors and on and on and on with like every single product everywhere EXCEPT iPhones.

The goal of every company is to have a product designed especially for you (look at the Moto X http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/01/motorola-moto-x-preview/). That means multiple models since personalization isn't very realistic. Apple even used to personally engrave your iPod for you, so this isn't new to them.

Sure Steve Jobs used to say that a phone should be held in one hand, but Samsung has shown us that not everyone thinks like Steve. When the iPhone came out 4G wasn't in it and wi-fi wasn't everywhere. Now people are using their phones for more and more... the bigger screens are preferable for video and media.

You are too hurt by that statement. Samsung has a great line of products now, but just like every android member they released countless **** products before that to see what sells. It's a huge contrast to Apple that only releases what they deem the market should be. It doesn't matter who's right and who's wrong. That's how they roll, that shouldn't upset you.

Point is Apple is currently too conservative with their releases. They're losing market share and relevancy. Their smartphone business may be heading towards paralleling their desktop/laptop business.

You are too hurt by that statement. Samsung has a great line of products now, but just like every android member they released countless **** products before that to see what sells. It's a huge contrast to Apple that only releases what they deem the market should be. It doesn't matter who's right and who's wrong. That's how they roll, that shouldn't upset you.

It doesn't upset me at all, although re-reading my post it does sound like it did. I know Apple doesn't follow the same logic that others do, but I don't think we should look at Apple as a good example of how to do things. Yes, they're terribly successful, but others using their strategies won't be.

Look at your line 'Apple only releases what they deem the market should be.' That's not normal. Everyone else releases what they think the market wants (which is hard enough in itself). Apple tries to lead the market, which worked great for a while until the competition caught up. However, when they tried it with computers back in the 80's and 90's they missed out on one of the biggest opportunities of our generation. We're using Windows today because Apple tried to decide what the market should be instead of letting customers decide what they want.

But with this 6inch phablet, they're responding to the market. I think that's a good choice.

I'm one of those people who prefer to hold and operate my phone in one Hand. If I want something bigger I goto my tablet or my 27" desktop. I would like to see the iPhone even lighter than the 5 already is and even thinner.

I think its good for apple if this is true....but it will be bash by both apple & android fanbase..

"It can be argued that Apple?s last truly innovative product was the iPad" -> so sad and true

Back