Bing 2.0 to be rolled out next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Bing has had a busy few months, but if recent rumors hold any weight, a facelift may be just around the corner. Mary-Jo Foley over at ZDNet caught wind of a few Tweets that came from Microsoft's annual company meeting, which are hinting that Redmond may roll out "Bing 2.0" this fall -- and possibly as early as next week.

The Tweets quoted by Foley indicate that attendees of Microsoft's gathering have seen a demo of Bing 2.0. While none of the micro-blog posts offered a clear image of what's to come, most imply that some major changes are afoot. One Tweeter said, "Bing 2.0, out this month, has some exciting new features. Imagine seeing maps plus pics from the neighborhood of a restaurant to try."

Another backed the map additions with "BING 2.0 terrific !! watch out guys ! bing + silverlight in maps = amazing!! goodbye google," and one Tweet claimed the update would be rolled out next week. Microsoft declined to offer any worthwhile details when questioned by Foley.

Permalink to story.

Two of the Twitter pages don't work. Probably MS took them out.
Bing has so far been pretty successful and with 2.0 it might get even more buzz.

Good for BING... We need some competition. I mainly use Google but BING is decent and I no longer reset peoples search options to Google from Microsoft.

I like Google's search tweaks that allow me to put words in quotes to search for an exact phrase and not just a smattering of terms. Like the following terms give better results at Google: Stargate SG1 "Season 5" "boxed set". Bing results aren't as accurate, but they get close. (My example probably can be more illuminating, but I'm not feeling well today.) I hope in Bing 2.0 they can tighten up the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back