BIOS RAM speed setting, maximizing efficency..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just bought new sdram, 256.
my ram is 256+128+64 in the bios, i can change it from :
sdram 10ns, sdram 8ns, normal, fast, turbo. :suspiciou
What does these options do?? DO THEY EVEN AFFECT THE RAMS' SPEED? :suspiciou
Is it even knowticeable? ive played around, and nothing really happend. What is the shadowing options?? any optium options for my P3 850Mhz, 32mb tnt2, 451mb ramed, comp?? :eek:

my dial up is 31.2kbs :(
why isnt it 56kb? thats what i sposly bought.. :haha:

Yasmeen said:
I've just bought new sdram, 256.
my ram is 256+128+64 in the bios, i can change it from :
sdram 10ns, sdram 8ns, normal, fast, turbo.
What does these options do?? DO THEY EVEN AFFECT THE RAMS' SPEED?
can under or overclock the speed of the memory stick ,but not much here,to,see real change need to change the mhz make sure all ram is 133mhz if motherboard can handle it.if one stick is slower they will all clock to that one
Is it even noticeable?
not just that change ,good for a real memory draining app.
What is the shadowing options??
shadow video ROM,if running nt this should be disabled OS will run better

my dial up is 31.2kbs :(
why isnt it 56kb?
you will never see 56kbs through put,I don't know where you got those speeds from ??settings or actual internet clocked speeds??
if this is a setting could be your isp has you set here
can be changed ,may increase connection speeds

dial 32.1k?

Samstoned said:
will never see 56kbs through put,I don't know where you got those speeds from ??settings or actual internet clocked speeds??
if this is a setting could be your isp has you set here
can be changed ,may increase connection speeds

I subscribe to world-link., i called them on dec, and jan. but no speed upg.

my modem can handle 56kbps.. they said will look in to it.. Im starting to wonder if this is my setting prob.?

Regarding your dialup speed, for a time I subscribed to two different dialups at the same time. Although connection speeds varied over time, one was consistently equal to or faster than the other. There are other factors that might affect speed but sometimes it can be the ISP.

A noisy connection will tend to slow the connection speed, not all modems are built equal, some older modems might be using an older connection protocol, length of phone wire from wall socket, too many devices on a phone line to name some.

Hi Yasmeen,

First of all, you will *never* see a full 56k connection on dialup in the US. The modems are rated for 56k, but the FCC limits modem connection speeds on standard phone lines to around 54k.

Second, most of the problems I had with dialup were due to the phone lines themselves, not the ISP or the modem. Sometimes this can be due to house wiring, especially in an older home. Other times its an issue with the phone company.

Phone companies, however, are *notorious* for dismissing calls from customers who complain about poor quality modem connections. They "don't guarantee bandwidth" or somesuch.. My suggestion if you call them is to complain about "line noise".

Thankfully, all that mess disappeared when I went to broadband.

Thank you for all your help.

CASE CLOSED!
DIAL UP IS TOO SLOW FOR ANYTHING, SO I DECIDED TO SWITCH TO DSL LITE FROM BELL, $20 MONTH. 12KB/S.
Thank you all who responded!!

:p ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back