BIOS settings needed for Sempron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I've trawled through the FAQ's and looked through the threads, but could not anything pertaining to my particular setup. I have a PC Chips M848alu Socket A motherboard in which I have recently dropped in a Sempron 2600+ processor to replace the Athlon XP I recently fried (don't ask!). The problem is that when I fire up the computer, it is recognised as an Athlon XP 2200+

How do I set the BIOS on this particular motherboard so that it runs as 2600+? I have read on the internet that I need to use an 11x multiplier, but I'm lost; the closest to that that I see in the BIOS is 10:9. I have set the frequency to 166Mhz as suggested elsewhere on the net with the multiplier set to 1:1. With this setting it runs as a 2200+ but I want to get the full capacity out of the processor. Any idea, anyone, what settings i need to use? Thanks.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You may need to upgrade your bios in order for your mobo to recognise your Sempron cpu.

Check on your mobo manufacturers website for a bios upgrade.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Yeap... late MoBos dont know that there is a Sempron brand out there LOL...

Just Flash the Newest Bios... and that should make it :

Regards from Panama :D

Thanks for that. Ok, so i've gone to the PC Chips website and downloaded the stuff I need to flash the BIOS. However, the instructions were written in such appallingly bad English that I don't dare attempt the procedure in case I end up wrecking the computer again!

The flash utility I downloaded consists of two files; an .EXE file which I have renamed BIOSFLSH and a file called m848a16.rom
I have placed both of these files in a special setup partition that I have; it's FAT32 so I can access the contents from DOS.

All I need to know is, how do i go about using these two files to safely flash and update my BIOS?

Best way is to put them on a floppy or a USB drive used to boot, then usually after you boot you have to use them like
a:\<exe-file> <rom-file> <ENTER>
That should do it!

DONE!! Flashed the BIOS as per the instructions and it went like a dream! And have learnt a new skill to boot! Processor is now recognised for the Sempron that it is, and runs at the correct speed!

Now only one issue remains. I downloaded and installed MOTHERBOARD MONITOR 5 to keep tabs on the processor temperature. If I examain the temperature in the BIOS it states that the CPU is running at around 34c. However, once i go into Windows, MOTHERBOARD MONITOR shows the CPU running at a steady 64c. Why the 30c difference? And does 64c sound too hot? I have read posts where people with similar CPU's have them running at 43c! What am I doing wrong?

I used the exact same motherboard for a good few months and i always found motherboard monitor 5 gave some wierd readings. I found speedfan gave honest readings to a certain extent. Temp 1 will be the cpu and the rest are bogus apart from the hdd temps.

Hope this helps

Sean.

Thanks for that Sean! I installed Speedfan and have found that it gives the same readings that I get from the BIOS. Excellent! And there was me thinking that I was about to fry a second CPU!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back