BioShock 2 increases 5-install limit to 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Amid the flurry of disapproval, 2K Games has decided to scale back the DRM restrictions on BioShock 2. Fans were unhappy to learn a five-install limit would accompany the sequel to BioShock, but according to community manager Elizabeth Tobey, the company has done away with SecuROM install limits on both the retail and digital editions of BioShock 2.

SecuROM will be present, but "only to verify the game's executable and check the date." Tobey also noted that the company would abide by standard Games for Windows Live non-SSA guidelines, which allow up to 15 activations. Beyond that, you can reset them by calling Microsoft. This follows the implementation of other recent games, like Batman: Arkham Asylum.

While I understand the desire of developers and publishers to protect their livelihood, DRM-laden games are still cracked and readily available on most torrent trackers. Increasing the install cap to 15 is certainly an improvement, but I'm curious to know how many thefts are prevented as opposed to the number of frustrated paying customers.

Permalink to story.

"I'm curious to know how many thefts are prevented as opposed to the number of frustrated paying customers...."

I imagine the current DRM scenarios will only deter the most casual of hackers. Personally, their DRM attempts haven't bothered me and I normally only need 2-3 installs max to finish off a game and move on to the next one anyway. Only when I'm upgrading the hard drive. 95% of my games i finish off in one install so that's never been a limitation for me.

They definitely need to come up with something to deter the theft though. It's killing the PC gaming industry and providing us with the end result of more and more crappy console ports of games being shoved down our throats.

Well this is 100x better than other games. Bad Company 2 is gonna have 5 install limits. I'm really not gonna like that. GTA4, has DRM but i never had issues. It just does it's little thing and then Im in game

Disappointed with the DRM decisions of Bioshock 2, but if I had to guess I'd say down the road they might lift some of the restrictions if possible. And I'm personally not very fond of GFWL...it's a great idea and has a lot of potential. But in its current state it feels like it's in alpha/beta. Missing basic features which other services carry and has a sluggish interface (only have 1 GFWL title). I assumed they would improve it, but seeing as they change for these features on the 360 they might not want to provide them free on the PC. Especially with constant talk of wanting to charge up to $100 for Xbox Live, people might wise up.

thatguyandrew92 said:
Well this is 100x better than other games. Bad Company 2 is gonna have 5 install limits. I'm really not gonna like that. GTA4, has DRM but i never had issues. It just does it's little thing and then Im in game

Source? I haven't read anything official only speculation on SecuROM.

Whats the point? You can install it 15 times but not 16. Seriously, thats not how piracy works guys. You don't share it with your 14 closest friends its just stupid.

So, I ask you: If you're going to limit it to 15, why have a limit at all?

thatguyandrew92 said:

Actually it only 3x better and still an insult.

When I hear that game developers try to put this crap in front of us and expect us to eat it and say "Ohhh Delicious! Please, piss on it a bit for us". It actually makes me want to pirate the game. At the very least I can say I am not going to pay for a game that put my balls in the developers vice. I can just imagine what a call to Microsoft concerning this game would be like

Hello?

Hello, MS support.

Hi, can you please let me reactivate my game I paid good money for?

Um... sorry no... according to our records you have enjoyed this copy of the game enough.

DRM measures do not hinder piracy and just make legal users life miserable. I have legally acquired games that I haven't played because, for example Pure force me to uninstall my virtual CD apps (that I need for my day-to-day activities) else they don't run. Even after uninstalling the tools, something in the system wouldn't be to its liking and wouldn't run . I cannot afford to (and won't) reinstall my system and zillion apps just for the game to feel 'safe' and 'legal'. Do I have to crack/pirate *my own* game to be able to play it??? They force us users to learn about protection schemes and avoid games that use the most abstruse ones, just because we can't be confident on the game running and not spoiling our system. I am pretty sure they would sell more were it not for practices like these.

DRM

One big problem I have with DRM is that the game manufacturing installs DRM software that is either uninstallable or hard to remove. They do not explain this to users, here's what they should say:
As part of the game installation, we will install a separate DRM program that does ..., if you choose not to install this, you will not be able to play the game and you may return the product for a full refund.

I don't think people mind that companies try to protect things, it's when companies treat all people as criminals and install junk on their computers which can cause issues.

When will game publishers learn that any form of SecureROM is unacceptable! We don't want ANY crappy background programs running on our PC, scanning optical disks and other files, or any other BS except running the game itself.

Don't you stupid boneheads understand, it's EASIER to just pirate your locked-up game instead of putting up with all the various BS you think we'll just put up with. Stupid, stupid stupid. Not only that, but just utilizing SecureROM makes it morally acceptable to steal your game!!!! This means that not only is there no guilt for stealing it, but it feels GREAT to stick it to the boneheads that wish to control our PCs.

Learn from Spore. Please. Most of us will never, ever, EVER by any software that installs SecureROM. Ever!

DRM can get so frustrating. I remember with Spore it was easier to take my copy I bought and download the cracks for it then to just run it and deal with all the DRM crap.

Hmm this reminds Me, a while back when I had to deal with the spore DRM, I found out that EA created a tool for spore that lets you disable old installations so that you can reinstall it more then 5 times as long as you disable your old installations. Why don't they build that into the DRM itself so that you could install it as many times as you want as long as you uninstall the old installations first?

Goo seems to be an interesting alternative to securom and it allows you to resell games. I have also heard it does not have an install limit and does not install anything like securom does but I could be wrong about those parts. You can just Google (Stardock Goo) if you want more info; because I'm to lazy to explain it!

What is so wrong with installing the game? Why do they need ScrewUROM to mess things up? Requiring the disc to launch a game got pretty annoying around 1998. And here we are 12 years latter and they still can't get it right. The person who purchases the game gets treated as the pirate. Meanwhile the person who steals it from the webz enjoys the entire game free from hassle. (Except in Batman, which had the brilliant idea of messing up Batman's ability to glide in the game for the Pirate while the paid people played along and giggled.)

I found out that EA created a tool for spore that lets you disable old installations so that you can reinstall it more then 5 times as long as you disable your old installations.
They did that for Crysis Warhead as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back