Bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox goes offline amid serious trouble

Scorpus

TechSpot Staff
Staff member
Major Bitcoin exchange Mt. Gox has been troubled in recent times, today going completely offline amid rumors of a possible acquisition or insolvency. Heading to their website at mtgox.com currently shows a blank page, and all tweets have been deleted...

[newwindow="https://www.techspot.com/news/55803-bitcoin-exchange-mt-gox-goes-offline-amid-serious-trouble.html"]Read more[/newwindow]

G

Well, the source on the size says:

<!-- put announce for mtgox acq here -->

An acquisition perhaps? A decoy more likely?

G

Well, the source on the size says:

<!-- put announce for mtgox acq here -->

An acquisition perhaps? A decoy more likely?
You clever, clever shrew(family guy)

Eddo22

TS Booster
This is great, maybe AMD Radeon cards will become available and start selling at sane prices again.
It's my understanding that Asic cards are the way to go for mining Bitcoins... so unfortunately it probably won't affect the price since other currency such as Litecoin currently run only on standard computer hardware and Asic can't currently be used for Litecoining.

G

Perhaps if there was some kind of, oh I dunno... Government Regulation in place to prevent this kind of thing, you nerds would still have your money. Real Money for the win!

RzmmDX

TS Guru
If it was a legitimate exchange, it would have been announced before they started freezing everything... unless their management is incompetent.

G

Nothing makes me happier than being one of the hundreds of thousands of users who was ripped off by that **** show of an exchange.

D

davislane1

Nothing makes me happier than being one of the hundreds of thousands of users who was ripped off by that **** show of an exchange.
I can't help but respect a man who chooses to feel ironically about his own misfortune. #LowBlow

D

davislane1

Perhaps if there was some kind of, oh I dunno... Government Regulation in place to prevent this kind of thing, you nerds would still have your money. Real Money for the win!
Yup. Just like they've regulated education into a massive success, and regulated financial institutions into sound lending practices, and legislated healthcare into perfection, and regulated business such that they can't cook their books. Gov't Regulation FTW!

/sarcasm

G

BitCoin is not the only crypto-currency to go down in value. As far as I can see, all of them have gone down by about the same percent.

Camikazi

TS Evangelist
BitCoin is not the only crypto-currency to go down in value. As far as I can see, all of them have gone down by about the same percent.
Because if the main ones reputation is tarnished it tarnishes all of them since most people see all crypto-currency as the same basic thing. The stock market is kind of the same way, usually if the biggest in one field has a huge problem others in the same field will feel the hit as well.

captaincranky

TechSpot Addict
Because if the main ones reputation is tarnished it tarnishes all of them since most people see all crypto-currency as the same basic thing. The stock market is kind of the same way, usually if the biggest in one field has a huge problem others in the same field will feel the hit as well.
Even the stock market has tangible property backing it up.GE has factories. Exxon Mobile has oil wells and refineries. In the case of commodities, it's usually speculative as to what crops are to be planted, and what will their value be at harvest
[SIZE=5]
SO[/SIZE], Bitcoin is nothing like the stock market, it's pure bull s***, smoke and mirrors.

Even the stock market has tangible property backing it up.GE has factories. Exxon Mobile has oil wells and refineries. In the case of commodities, it's usually speculative as to what crops are to be planted, and what will their value be at harvest
[SIZE=5]
SO[/SIZE], Bitcoin is nothing like the stock market, it's pure bull s***, smoke and mirrors.
Wait a minute. The stock market isn't smoke and mirrors?

captaincranky

TechSpot Addict
Wait a minute. The stock market isn't smoke and mirrors?
No it isn't. It's more like the hysteria of a chicken running around with its head cut off, with a bunch of inbred, fat cats betting on it.

Bitcoin is an update to an old adage. "Life sucks, and then somebody steals all your bitcoins".

Where the heck did they go anyway? What did Gox do, reformat all its hard drives?

Whoops,.....:D But these things are real money, I could swear to it.:p

Last edited:
G

Some people believe that Mt.Gox might have done the defraud themselves.