Bizarre BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deinonych

Hi all,

This morning I woke up to find my secondary PC with the following BSOD: STOP 0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). This normally indicates a hardware failure of some sort. This is somewhat strange, as this is fairly new build - new motherboard, proc and RAM with repurposed drives from a previous build. Although I can no longer get into the OS (even via Safe Mode), I was able to salvage the dumpfiles and run an analysis on a few of them. The results are very strange:

STACK_COMMAND: kb

FOLLOWUP_IP:
dbgmsg9x+d12
9974cd12 cd20 int 20h

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX: 1

SYMBOL_NAME: dbgmsg9x+d12

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: dbgmsg9x

IMAGE_NAME: dbgmsg9x.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 3be90f45

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x7f_d_dbgmsg9x+d12

BUCKET_ID: OLD_IMAGE_dbgmsg9x.sys

I've done a search on the filename in question, and the Google results are very cryptic. I can't figure out what this file is, or why it would even be on my system. It doesn't seem to be part of the core Vista OS. Has anyone ever heard of this filename?

I feel fairly confident that there's not a hardware problem, and I'm pretty close to just doing an OS reimage. But I thought I'd run this by you all to get your opinions. I'm attaching a couple of the dumpfiles for those who wish to take a look at them. I've also done the following troubleshooting:
-- uninstalled all drivers
-- run chkdsk (no problems)
-- run Memtest86+ for several hours (no problems)

One other point of note: earlier in the day, I was able to get into the OS via Safe Mode (this was when I was able to retrieve the dumpfiles). After running chkdsk, I am no longer able to get in. I ran chkdsk again, and it found no problems, but it now BSODs as soon as I get to the Vista login screen. Booting to Safe Mode just hangs (with the HDD thrashing) after crcdisk.sys loads.

System config here: http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.aspx?rigid=35120

Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

did you install any new software onto this computer recently? also you said it was custom build did you build it? If so did you over clock your cpu

Yes, it's a custom build that I built myself. CPU and memory are running stock speeds -- no overclocking whatsoever. Only recent software install that comes to mind is an XP device driver for an old Wacom ArtPad tablet that I installed a week or so ago. The tablet wouldn't work with Vista, so I uninstalled the driver. It's possible that it didn't uninstall itself properly, though.

Other than that, I haven't installed anything recently. This is the "family" computer, so it's mostly used for email and web stuff. Only software installed is Office and a few kids' games.

what type of mobo and ram do you have also i do not have a PC so i cannot check the dump files but did you use !analyze to check the file or did you use kb

OK, thanks. I'm thinking it was the Wacom driver that caused the problem then.

I went ahead and reinstalled Vista last night, and everything seems to be fine. No BSODs, and no apparent problems. So, I'm now 99% sure it wasn't a hardware problem as the 0x7f error code would normally indicate. I'll chalk this one up to experience. *knock on wood*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back