Black screen after Grub selection (safe mode fails too) - Ubuntu still works though

Hi there,

My Samsung netbook failed on me today. Last time i used it was last night when i saw a nasty little trojan had infected my machine, so i turned off my wireless and let Sophos anti virus run. Turned off machine this morning (everything seemed ok at that point bar 23 iexplore windows open - guessing that was the trojans doing).

Anyhoo when i went to boot up the machine today it went to the grub menu without issue. So far so good. Ubuntu also boots without issue. So its not a complete HD failure then. The problems occur when i try to boot the windows partition. If i try to just boot all i get is a black screen with bugger all happening. If i boot to windows and then push F8 to get the windows boot menu up no matter what option I choose all that happens is that white progress bar appears at the bottom of the page, fills up about 1/5th of the way and stops and that is it?

Not really sure where to start here, did see a suggestion of using a windows recovery CD but my netbook doesnt have a cd drive :-( Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

So, is your netbook a dual-boot Ubuntu / Win7(Starter)?

Re: Recovery CD... a usb cd will probably work.
It may also be possible to make your recovery "disk" a thumb drive.
BUT... the recovery cd needs to be made before disaster strikes.

Since your issue began with Malware, and
Since some "recovery tools" require a "virus free" drive to avoid completely "borking" an OS partition,
I would suggest that you start with the Virus and Malware Removal forum.
I don't know if they can help you, (working from Ubuntu), or not... but I do think it is the place to start.
Try posting a new thread there , with the same information.
See what they suggest.

Back