Black screen with blinking underscore (fails to boot)

The past month my laptop has been booting really slow so i decided to hibernate instead of shutting down the computer seeing as it resumes session and is much faster. Yesterday, my virus protection tagged certain programs as malicious and i moved them to vault as i usually do, but noticed that it deleted all the programs i use such as Photoshop, Spotify, Enternet explorer and some others that weren't viruses and im 100% sure they weren't infected. I jumped to fast by sending them to vault and afterwards i tried to restore them from the vault using the virus protection interface. It restored the shortcuts but messed up the .exe files.

Later that night i did a system restore to a point the previous day. The restore was successful and the computer started to restart as usual but now the laptop wont boot anymore.

It loads the Dell icon and then stays in the black screen with a blinking underscore. I can go into BIOS, I have ran multiple tests everything passes, i can boot from the start up disk (not to desktop) but to repair screen which "no problems are detected".

I have tried to undo the restore a few times. Unfortunately i don't have a complete backup disk with all of my files or else id nuke the HDD and start over. I spent all day searching the web for a solution but have hit a dead end.

Im curious to see if anyone can help me with Boot failure and if not tell me how i can create a successful back up if i cant load Vista. Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.

I already have the manufacturer cd that i can boot from which ive tried all the options it offers. i belive it has 4 options like repair tool, system restore, full system recovery and command line. system restore doesnt work no matter how far i go back, i dont have an image to recover too and im not sure what else i can do with command line besides chkdsk.

nevermind i fixed it, i used the command prompt and redid the boot file. everythings all good. i just didnt know the commands to do it. thanks youtube!

Back