Blank Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me begin by describing the situation and problem, the problem is that the monitor is receiving a signal but its just blank. And which led to this was when i installed an extra 1gig of memory, before this i had a Nvidia Geforce 7800 AGP graphics card running with 256mb of memory. I upgraded to 1 gig and simply just inserted the memory into the correct slot but when i started the computer it came up blank, and after taking it back out the mopnitor still displays a black screen. But right before installing the memory it worked fine, i cant seem to figure it out and any help before taking the plunge and sending it away to a repair shop would be greatly apreciated.

But right before installing the memory it worked fine
Chances are the memory incompatible with your system or with your other memory module. I'd advise taking it back and getting a different brand. Make sure you match up the speed (DDR 2700, for example) as closely as possible to increase compatibility. Also, vastly cheaper memories tend to be less compatible, but often still work. Just luck of the draw.

I upgraded to 1 gig and simply just inserted the memory into the correct slot but when i started the computer it came up blank, and after taking it back out the monitor still displays a black screen.
Clearing the CMOS will probably fix this.

My guess is your computer used SPD to determine the speed of your newly installed memory and now its confused since you've taken it out. Turning the system on and off several times usually gets it back to life. But clearing the CMOS should work for sure.

If it still doesn't work, trying taking out your existing memory module and reinstall it.

And finally, as an alternate scenario, you may have somehow damaged your board. This is unlikely though and I really think the first option is going to fix it.

Best of luck.

ok, well i have turned it on and of plenty of times but it seems to not be working all that well, how do u manly clear or the CMOS? and also i forgot to add that it got really hot in a matter of seconds, could that have done anyserious damage?

and also i forgot to add that it got really hot in a matter of seconds, could that have done anyserious damage?
The memory got hot fast? That's a bit odd.

how do u manly clear or the CMOS?
There's a jumper which clears the CMOS. It's a single jumper that shorts two of three pins. It is usually located near the silver, round lithium battery on your motherboard. You'll need to consult your motherboard manufacturer for the exact details, but you'll move this jumper from pins 1 & 2 to pins 2 & 3 and then back to 1 & 2 again.

It should look a bit like this:
CulrF_bios_2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back