Blank pages in Internet Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hodsocks

I have been asked to look at a problem with the above for a friend of mine. The first pc running Windows Xp pro and IE6 would open the home page but as soon as you went to another page it would open up a blank page and IE would pretty much freeze. I ran AVG. Spybot and Adaware 2007 and deleted anything found, I also tried the fix involving running regsvr32 to fix files.I even tried a repair install of windows.
A couple of weeks later another pc went down with the same problem, this time running IE7, then another couple of weeks later a third machine went down with similar problems.
The pc's are networked through a server running MS server 2003.
Everything I have tried seems unable to resolve the problem, the fact it seems to be speading almost suggests virus activity but virus scans with both AVG and NAV found nothing.
I installed Firefox which seemed to be a workaround but I think that this may now be suffering the same fate, but don't quote me on that.
Has anyone any suggestions as to what may be going on here?

Hiya mate.

I agree it does sound malware related.

Go and read this thread HERE and post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards Howard :)

There`s nothing particularly nasty there. However, you have not renamed HijackThis_v2.exe to Analyze.exe.

It also appears appears you`re running two antivirus programmes, AVG And Symantec/Norton. This is not recommended, will seriously slow your system and can cause potentially serious conflicts.

I suggest you uninstall one antivirus programme asap.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = chasesbs:8080<Fix this if you don`t know it`s absolutely legit.

4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPUsageTracking] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP UT\bin\hppusg.exe" "C:\Program Files\HP\HP UT\"

O16 - DPF: {1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} - http://ak.exe.imgfarm.com/images/nocache/funwebproducts/ei/MyFunCardsFWBInitialS etup1.0.0.15-3.cab

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT and reboot your system.

Post a fresh HJT log and let me know if you`re still having problems.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back