Blank screen after XP welcome screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrispleytre

I have a Dell Latitude (laptop) C640 with the standard Radeon 7500 video and am running XP Pro SP2. I recently was updating the video driver and after running into some problems while doing so, I managed to remove the Display Adapter (why oh why does Plug and Play not recognize this??) After rebooting, I only get a blank screen after the welcome screen. The computer seems to be operational (wireless pci card is on, hard drive reacts from pressing the keyboard, CD drive reacts to a cd being inserted), but I cannot do anything. I have tried ALL of the modes under the F8 screen, but only get a blank screen with blinking cursor or just a blank screen. I cannot boot from my XP install disc, because nothing shows up on the screen. I have tried to connect to another machine via network cable, but need a password (which I never set up) to log on. I am at a complete loss. Any helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Are you sure you are booting your XP install CD and npot just booting into your existing Windows? Check the boot order in BIOS or use the boot menu hot key.

You have to press a key to boot from the XP CD and the installation process is text-only standard VGA - it has to work if the F8 menu works.

I have used F12 to temporarily change the boot order so that it boots from the CD drive containing the XP install cd. The regular XP welcome screen proceeds to come on, and then....nothing.

Have you tried booting from a floppy. A Windows 98 boot disk can provide access to your CD ROM through DOS. Here's a link:

http://www.bootdisk.com

You could temporarily remove the Radeon card and install a PCI based video card to repair XP, then reinstall the Radeon

Unfortunately I have to remove the CD rom drive to use the floppy, as they use the same port. I have already tried all booting methods. The machine seems to operate normally, and using another machine to guide me (using the Windows key and tabbing), I was able to blindly run sfc /scannow. It appeared to run alright, as it would access the CD rom for the necessary files. But upon reboot, the same result.

I you see the XP welcome screen, then it is not booting from the CD (or you are not using a Windows install CD).

Are you sure your Windows CD is bootable? And you do have to press any key to actually make the CD boot.

Aw jeez......I have been so focused on the display problem that I completely overlooked that important fact that you have pointed out!!! So, after checking the CD that I had marked 'Bootable XP', I found that it was of course, the non-bootable disc. I pulled out another XP disc (bootable!) and am proceeding with the installation. Thank you for pointing out the obvious.

Now the speakers are gone!!

I re-installed XP and everything is back to normal......except the system does not recognize the built-in speakers. I went to the control panel, but cannot do anything with the sound controls. Oh well, maybe next time!

That was the first thing I did. It had no results. I then removed the drivers, re-booted, went throught the whole 'found new hardware' game, and still, I cannot do anything with the sound properties in the control panel.

(p.s.: I have a huge sense of humor, so this is NOT at all to be taken seriously, but I just can't resist........How much effort did you put into thinking of that suggestion? Why not just ask 'Are you sure the computer is turned on?' I could have contacted Dell and gotten a more in-depth answer!)

I will probably be banned from this forum now for posting offensive comments.

But seriously, I appreciate however much time you took to post your suggestions. It is nice to have people still willing to give their time to help a stranger. Thanks! (<--That is completely serious and free of irony.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back