Blank screen and nothing else

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
a few weeks ago i tired downloading a media player which happened to be some sort of virus or trojan. after that my internet explorer stopped working and kept bring up an error message. after a week a just tried using explorer again and unexpectedly i had to restart the laptop as the screen just froze. previously i had been able to surf the net well using mozilla. but after shutting down the system improperly i cannot boot up the system. when i turn on the power supply i get the usual Dell logo and then a blank, black screen just pops up.
can someone please tell me how i can sole this issue as i have a lot of file on that particulr laptop that i have not backed up.

thank you

You are going to have to go in to the BIOS, change the Boot order to CD first, and boot from the CD. Do you have the CD?

Please give computer information and operating system also. When you got the malware, did you do anything to remove it?

You are going to have to go in to the BIOS, change the Boot order to CD first, and boot from the CD. Do you have the CD?

Please give computer information and operating system also. When you got the malware, did you do anything to remove it?

the operating system is windows xp. I'm not sure f i have the cd, i'll have to have a look. i dont remember Dell providing a windows cd. I tried installing adware/spyware etc, but none of it worked. would i be able t save my data?

Depending on the age and model of the Dell you have, you may have gotten the OEM disc- it will say "for reinstalling Windows XP only". You will need to use it after you access the BIOS to change the boot order, so you can boot from the setup on the CD to the Recovery Console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back