Blocking programs???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an administrator on my computer and i want to limit the programs that other users can use. i dont want to block internet sites, just the programs on my computer

does anyone know how to do this?

thanx a lot

You can set the permissions on the executables on your machine. I think you can even do a search for .exes in your program files folder and just select them all to modify the permissions. Remove everyone and leave just your account. I'm sure there are several other ways but that was the first thing that came to my mind.

First of all you have to be using NTFS. If that's the case simply goto the folder (Probably C:\Program Files) and right click on it. Select Search and do a search for *.exe . In the resulting window select all the exe files and then right click>properties>security. If "Everyone" has permission to the files simply deny them (be careful - you may limit them too much so there may be certain apps you want to leave them access to) and make sure your account still has full control.

If you have windows XP then you have NTFS
If you haev windows 98 you have FAT32, I think there are other FAT types but im not sure what they are.

I'm also not sure what NTFS means but I think its basically the base format for Windows XP

i have windows xp so NTFS - thanx
I rightclicked the exe of the file i wanted to block for other users and the tabs which came up are called:
General
Version
Compatibility
summary

there is no 'security' tab and no where says 'security'

any advice?

thanx for your help so far :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back