Blogger is most reliable blogging service, Tumblr the worst

Emil

Staff

Many choose to use a blogging service so that they do not have to bother setting up hosting for their content. That being said, not all blogging services are very reliable, according to a recent survey conducted by Royal Pingdom, which tested the five most popular ones: Blogger, WordPress.com, Typepad, Tumblr, and Posterous.

For each blogging service, the uptime of the homepage and four individual blogs was monitored. Tests were performed once a minute over a period of two months, between October 15 and December 15, from multiple locations in North America and Europe.

As you can see, the winner is clearly Google's Blogger as it had no downtime whatsoever. WordPress.com came in second with very little downtime. Typepad also did well, while Posterous was given a passing grade. Tumblr was the only service in the test that truly failed.

Tumblr has had a rough time with their stability lately; some Tumblr blogs were down for a total of more than two days during the two-month period of the survey. Tumblr also had the single longest outage by far, where its blogs were unavailable for almost 24 hours earlier this month.

Permalink to story.

I'm not suprised Blogger came out on top, but am very suprised to see how much downtime Tumbl had. Wow.

Blogging has gone down quite a bit over the last years but it's a shame that even with the decrease of use & traffic Tumblr still has troubles having a proper reliability. :-/

& Blogger is part of Google & with all their data-center power behind it, it's no surprise that it's so reliable.

Personally I just prefer Wordpress all around because of all the plugins and capabilities that people develop for it. But as far as up-time is concerned I imagine blogger would be best based on Google owning it as Didou said. I guess this only get serious if you end up having a seriously traffic'd blog.

Back