Blue Screen - Page Fault in Nonpaged Area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning,

So I am receiving the above error (debuglog.txt is attached). But I'd like to give some background - I searched the forums and saw many similar problems but just not quite the same...

I have a Toshiba M45-S169, about 2 1/2-3 years old running Windows XP S2. Over the years I've upgraded the memory several times (first from factory 512mb to 1024mb - just had to add second stick for this, then recently from 1024 to 2048 - the max this laptop can handle; required replacing both sticks). Prior to purchasing the memory, I searched several sites to ensure compatibility. I also had a tech at the store verify... I've learned the hard way. :evil:

So - supposedly this memory works with my system. It was recognized upon install and no problem - surfed the Net all day, played my online MMORPG, etc, no crashes - until I put my laptop into hibernate. Trying to come out, it said it didn't have enough memory to complete API. uhh huh So the next night, I just put it to sleep, not hibernate - this time I got the error above.

I've tested the RAM, both pieces together and individually in different slots - multiple times - they are fine apparently. I've even put them into my husband's laptop and fooled around - no problems. And, as I said, this only happens when coming out of Sleep or Hibernate. It is not triggered by playing graphic-intensive games; I can run the internet, games, and music apps all at one time without setting off the fan. I've played and played to try to get to the root of this evil. ;)

My next step thoughts are - change the virtual memory allocation (it is way under the recommended) and, dare I say it, resort to one of those registry cleaning apps?? Could that really be the problem?

Please help!

Attachments

• debuglog.txt
    19.4 KB · Views: 5
you could have registry issues. more than likely it is power management issues.

but try CCleaner. works great anyway

Thank you.

I did a registry clean today, as well as increasing virtual memory. Since the problem only happens 1) in the morning and 2) if I hibernate or sleep, I won't know if it helped until tomorrow... :p I'll post tho.

If power management - what could I do to resolve?

You could also run Check Disk

Open My Computer
Right Click on C drive
Select Properties
Select Tools tab
Select Check Now button
Tick "Automatically fix file system errors"
Start YES OK
Restart your computer
Wait for Check Disk to start/finish

And also do a full Defrag (after CCleaner has been run)

I do have an ATI graphics card - Radeon Xpress 200M, so I uninstalled/reinstalled - a little frustrating since the one for my laptop hasn't been updated since 2005 and the ones from ATI won't work. :darth:

I also ran CHKDSK and the HDD came up clean with 0 bad sectors. I defrag on a fairly regular basis, as the MMORPG I play causes a serious cluster if you don't, but I did it again anyway.

Hopefully my blue screens of death will be a thing of the past with all the modifications and updates but I'll post again with an update - either when I get another blue screen or when I don't for a few days! :haha:

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Outcome

It's been about a week with no more occurrences. So, for anyone else who runs into this, here is what I did (and I've no idea which of these fixed the problem):

1 - Tested the memory sticks. They passed.
2 - Increased Virtual Memory allocation. (Apparently minimum should about 2 times physical memory; max is 3 times physical memory).
3 - Tested the HDD.
4 - Cleaned the registry.
5 - Emptied temporary files.
6 - Uninstalled/reinstalled graphics driver.

Not enough memory to complete API is Windows/XP bug

isisaset said:
no crashes - until I put my laptop into hibernate. Trying to come out, it said it didn't have enough memory to complete API. uhh huh So the next night,

The computer occasionally does not hibernate and you receive an "Insufficient System Resources Exist to Complete the API" error message in Windows XP with Service Pack 2, in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, or in Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

See Microsoft KB:

See URL: support.microsoft.com/kb/909095

I had this problem and the hotfix for the above corrected the issue. I also have the problem where my laptop now blue screens when I perform a suspend and resume. I'm going to uninstall and reinstall my video driver as explained in this post's thread.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back