Boot failure after BIOS flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I recently started experiencing BSOD's on my PC and in the process of trying to fix this I have decided to flash my BIOS.
I flashed it but now when I start my PC I get the message "disk boot failure, insert system disk..."
I suspect the problem is coming from the fact that I have a dual boot system that let me choose Vista or XP, and that for some reason, the new BIOS does not recognize it.
I have NO CLUE on how I could solve this.
XP was installed first on C drive, then Vista on a separate physical drive.
Please help!

Was it the correct BIOS for your motherboard? Did you have a RAID setup? Go to the BIOS setup and make sure that your hard drive is recognised and listed in the boot order.

thanks for the reply.
The BIOS is the latest one from the ASUS website, it is the right one for my MB, the m2n32 deluxe.
The bios recognize my two drives with no problem, they are listed there...

My Windows XP is on the C drive (first physical drive)
Vista is on the second physical hard drive.
I have just booted into my XP CD, and wanted to fix the mbr in the recovery console. I do not care about loosing my dual boot, I'm not using vista anyway.
In the recovery console, I had the choice to fix the mbr on:
1: Windows on D drive
2: Windows on C drive
I have chosen the number 2 because it was C (was I right? Or was it the number 1??).
Then I got a message that scared me away of doing it (I have important data that I don't want to loose): "this computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid boot record. FIXMBR could damage your partition tables if you proceed, etc..."
So I did not do it.
What do you think? is that the solution?
Help pleeeease...
Thanks

OK, here is the new episode of the adventure:

I have actually used fixmbr and fixboot on the XP partition.
Now the only way I can boot into XP is by physically unplugging the Drive on which Vista is installed.
If I plug it, I get a boot failure.
I don't care about Vista and I will get rid of it. My problem is that on that same drive is another data partition important to me. How can I access it if I can't boot into windows when plugging that drive???
Thanks for the help.

What kind of hard drives are they? It could be that the BIOS update changed how hard drives are enumerated and the Vista drive is now the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back