Boot.ini for dual XP/2000 boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you could describe the problem, along with a post on your brand and model of computer or motherboard, and configuration.. A print out will be very long, if available.

On a dual boot, you must start with an XP install, then add the W2K... you cannot easily do the reverse, booting to a Windows 2000 that was installed first.

Boot.ini for dual boot

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of the sequence to install 2000 then XP and on different volumes. What I am trying to do is to circumvent the installs. I have 2000 on one hard disk and XP on the other. Individually they work great, I need to swap HD's if I want to change the OS. I was hoping to come up with one boot.ini configured to manage the startup, and direct the boot to either the 2000 or the XP drive that I need at the moment, just like if I had actually run a clean new install of each OS. Is this possible?

Here is an example. You may need to modify it, some information on what the numbers mean go here: http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/bootini.htm

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back