Boot Sector Write! Virus!! Continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

uapak

its my firends comp... couple of days ago.. his comp crashed showing the bsod and wen he rebooted his comp first he got the message saying:
Scan Devices, plz wait...
press <tab> key into user window!

Hardware initiate failed, please check device!!!
The bios dose not be installed . press <g> to continue!

Today, he used another harddrive to see if that was the problem and the computer scanned devices, nothign happned and he got a message saying
BOOT SECTOR WRITE! VIRUS!! CONTINUE y/n

the virus could have gone to his ram but not too sure... its da first time im handling dis type of stuf so i need a lil help.. tel me if u guys knw anythign bout diss .. i told him to reset his cmos.. lets see wat hapens

You could try that.

If XP, you can use the recovery console to write a new boot sector and MBR.

If 98 (or if willing to format) you can use the 98 startup disk, and type fdisk/mbr at the command line after booting from floppy which formats the master boot record. using FDISK to format the MBR may or may not loose data (I think it will!) so beware, and do it only if you want to format the drive too.

On the other hand, there could be a perfectly acceptable reason for it (there sometimes is) and so somebody else may know something more.

FDISK /MBR does NOT destroy data, ony rewrites the MasterBootRecord.

However, that does not delete a bootvirus. You need to scan the disk with antivirus software.

My mistake (making a lot of those lately!) I should know better than to confuse an MBR with a boot sector.

FIXBOOT does wipe and re-write the boot sector though does it not? (thought I'd better double check).

Boot sector virii after having disappeared for years are now showing up more often and are particulary difficult to remove...
Do a search for EMScan. It's a good tool for these.
If it's unsuccessful the next step would be a low level format that writes all zeros to the drive. You would want to use the drive manuf. program for this.

patio. :cool:

ooohhh aite .. but if the virus is in the boot sector of the original hdd, shudnt a new hdd work? he replaced da cmos but dint maek a difference... now it shosws the win xp screen i think but wen he even tries to log in into safe mode, nothing happens. if nothin else works.. ig ues goo wid da formatt .. nd another quesition.. how do u scan a hard drive widout usign windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back