Both my DVD DRIVES are gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoccoWoodbridge

Last night, i was prepping myself to upload the latest disc of the barrera set. But when i went to go find my dvd drives, both my drives dont show up anymore. I tried rebooting the computer and during the diagonostic screen/start up , i get a message that states

Secondary Slave drive - ATAPI incompatible

i went into to bios and tried auto detecting the drives , all of em seem to be alright except for one that says

Secondary slave drive- not installed.

I checked the connectors and cables and everything seems to be alright. Could anyone provide me some insight on this issue.

thanks

Remove both drives from the Device Manager, reboot and see if Windows finds and reinstalls them

Ok, i disected my problem further and tried a couple things. I went into the computer and i disconnected both connectors from the back of each drive and decided to only connect or drive at a time. I attached one of the connectors to the dvd rom drive and rebooted the computer and it recognized the dvd rom. Then i turned off the computer and connected the same connector to the dvd burner and then booted the computer up and this time, it didnt recognize the dvd burner and it gave me the secondary slave drive - imcompatible atapi.

So my analysis on this is that i assume something has gone in my dvd burner, but it still opens up and if i put a disc in here , the light still blinks green.

Any care to elaborate please, id greatly appreciate it

The burner is ha probably developed some kind of hardware malfunction. if ti is a short and you keep playing with it and hooking it up you could end up toasting your mobo or PSU. I have seen it happen.

I suspect the DVD burner has gone bad too. However, when you connected the DVD burner to the same connector, did you change the jumper to master?

no , i did not do that, im not very experienced at doing these jumper settings. could someone walk me thru it or a post a link?

thanx

On the back of each drive there is a jumper fitted. I personally use the cable select (CS) setting as it can save a lot of hassle. Try it and see if it will work, if not, then its a trip to the shops for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back