Not open for further replies.

TheRonMexico

Sys. Specs:
dell dimension 4600
Intel P4 2.4 ghz
2x256 mb DDR400 ram(factory from dell) infineon CL3
PC3200
nvidia Geforce 5200 FX

I bought two sticks of 512mb DDR ram(PH ddr400 512mb, CL 2.5, MD44-M57JA)
On the mother board there are 4 slots for memory, order goes 1 white, 1 black..1 white, 1 black. I know the memory must be in the same color slots to operate properly. The problem is when i boot up...It recognizes the total amount of ram ~1534mb, then i go to setup mode(hit F2) and check the system for the ram, its there. Exuent setup...goes to windows log in screen if im lucky and freezes. I check the error log entry in setup after rebooting and see a POST error(don't laugh behind your screen!...what is POST?). I have entered the memory as follows:
2x256 in white, 2x512mb in blackand reverse, and 2x512 by its self(in that case i turn on the comp and here beep...beep.......beep.beep: nothing happens just more beeps)

Can any one give some expert advice on what to do? :confused:

Hello

Are the paired slots blk/wht&blk/wht or wht/wht&blk/blk
Have you tried just the new sticks of 512?
Try clearing the cmos.
G'Luck

STOP IMMEDIATLY WHAT YOUR DOING!!!

put the ram the way it was before you had the problems and back everything you have up because your on your way to a total reformat.

I know because it has happened to me same thing just a faster better higher end dell that I am using right now.

With the dell and for things to operate normally you might have to reinstall windows, I don't know why it does this but it does. If you use all the same sticks (manufacturer, size and speed then the dells don't seem to have this problem but I didn't do this ) So I had to reformat and reinstall windows. so stop and backup then continue playing or you will hate yourself for something so small.
Dell Optiplex GX280
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
P4 3.0ghz Processor HT
1512MB PC3200 DDR2-400 RAM
Built in 128MB Intel Graphics Card
ATI X850pro 256 PCI Express Card
1024x768 Monitor
3port FireWire Card
Maddog 16x DVD-R/RW USB 2.0 Drive
16x DVD Drive
32x CD-RW
WD 40GB HDD