Brand new laptop; faulty wifi process?

I got a new laptop recently (this past Sunday) and ever since I turned it on I've had horrible issues with WiFi. It's tothe point where I'm ready to return it to the store and just go without a computer. Keep in mind I'm not very tech savvy, so I might not know what you're talking about.

It's very slow and won't stay connected to the internet. 4/5 times it doesn't load the web page I'm trying to load and after about 5 minutes after powering on it disconnects from my Wi-Fi and refuses to reconnect. The troubleshooter says it's a router issue but resetting the router doesn't do anything at all and no other device in the house is having any issues. I haven't downloaded ANYTHING to it yet. In addition, when it /does/ connect to my Wi-Fi, trying to open any web page brings me to a "you are not connected to the internet" notice.

Anm2JvC

I have no idea what to do. I need a computer for work but I'm so sick of having problems with them.

Set up the laptop next to the router where the signal should be strongest. Are you sure that you are connecting to your own wi fi network and router? When you switch on the laptop it will search for in range networks and when you spot your own you are asked to give the password before you can use the internet for the first time. If that's not happening maybe its logging you on to a neighbouring unsecured network (no password set) where the signal is weak. If I click on the wireless icon bottom right in my taskbar it brings up a choice of available networks. My icon looks like a set of steps and so the icon shows how strong the signal is. Check that you are connecting to your own router and see how strong the signal is. You mention other devices that work OK but haven't given any details.

I've tried that with no luck. Yes, I'm sure I'm connecting to my WiFi and not a neighbor's (the only other WiFi in range is my grandmother's and it's secured). The signal from my router at its absolute best fluctuates between 2 and 3 bars and only shows 4 (full signal) when it's acting up (as you can see in the following). http://I.imgur.com/Anm2JvC.jpg

As for other devices connected to the Wi-Fi, 2 Droid phones, an iPhone, an iPad, an Xbox360 and a Hopper DVR all function without issue connected to our Wi-Fi. I understand that it might be slow with that much usage, but we have like 20-25mb/s internet speed (enough to have host on the 360 with 2 or 3 other devices connected at the same time) so I doubt that's related.

A few more easy things to check. Is everything OK if you log on via grand mother's router? Try another browser besides Chrome. The laptop will most likely have Internet Explorer installed. If a third party firewall is installed try briefly disabling it.

I haven't tried her router because she won't give me the password. IE does the same thing. I wouldn't have a clue about the firewall thing though.

Back