Broadband connection slow & dropping recently using D-link wired extenders

Hi all,

I have a bit of a connectivity issue that recently has intensified.

Our broadband router is downstair and my PC is upstairs, I've not had the best of luck with wifi cards so around 12 months ago I purchased a set of those D-link wired (lan) extenders to use a wired connection via the power inlets (plug sockets).

Recently I have noticed slower and more frequent connectivity drops and slower web page loading times. Everything else in the property such as the Ruku box has been just fine, minimal drops.

I'm reaching out on here to hopefully gain some insight and suggestions to what maybe causing the drops and how can resolve or improve the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks,

Chris

I've been using this setup for years (using the Netgear product) - - the remote end has my wifi router in the entertainment room.

To pinpoint that the issue is with the EoP (Ethernet over Power) devices, you need to test both sides:
  1. first test using a device attached to the router
  2. and then test again at the remote end
  3. compare the results.
A good test would be PATHPING -d google.com >testX.txt (this will run for about 300secs so be patient)
and change the X so you know which file is from the front or back end.

I have had several problems with EoP devices. Any electrical noise can disrupt the quality of the link. Here is my suggestion to figure out if this is happening or not. Unplug everything except networked devices then test pings to the gateway. ping <gateway IP> /t then look for latency spikes. while the ping is running start plugging in devices one at a time and watch ping latency. If you see a drastic increase after a specific device is plugged in then that is the culprit. In my case at my house I have one of these connecting my shed to my house through power lines. When my refrigerator turns on my ping time to the gateway through the EoP goes from 20ms to 1000 - 3000 ms. It sounds like you may be facing something similar.

And I have had 100% reliability, no issues with Netgear. I'm sure it can also be dependent upon the building codes and how the distribution panel is setup.

Back