Broken laptop screen, hard drive out, how to install into other comp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I broke my lap top screen so i cant see anything anymore. i was curious about my computer so i took it apart and found this removable hard drive (hitachi it said jumper at the top). Is it possible for me to take that and put it into another computer so i can still have all my data from the old computer? Do I need anything else from the laptop to do this? if it is possible. Please HELP!!!!

Yes, it can be accessed in another computer for data. There are adapters that will do the trick. I would choose to connect via the USB. Some adapters can handle both 2.5" and 3.5" HDDs. A laptop is a 2.5" HDD. Expect to pay $25-$45 for the adapter.

usb hard drive connector

Fry's electronics makes a cable set that will plug into a disktop ide drive, a laptop ide drive or a sata drive and turn it into a usb external drive. It includes the usb cable and connector and a power cord. I have successfully used it on cdroms, 3.5" hard drives, 2.5" laptop drives, dvd drives, sata hd's etc. It was on sale at my local Fry's for $12 last week.

You can also remove the hard drive from another laptop and replace it with this one. I had just replaced the HD in my old sony when it curled up and died. I put the new (larger) hd into my old HP, and took the hp's drive and put it into the even older Dell. Took me about half an hour.

Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back