Broken monitor or not???

Status
Not open for further replies.
My monitor is pitch black when I turn my pc on. Does this mean its broken or that something else maybe wrong withit? The monitor light comes on but no picture

Check the connection, it could have simply just come unplugged. Make sure everything is tight on the monitor as well as the video card. Also make sure your video card is pushed tightly into the agp/pci slot. Have you done anything recently to make anything go wrong? Did you hear any noises?

BTW
:wave: Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Monitor broken or not???

Well I was cat sitting a few weeks ago and I believe he must have ran behind my computer desk and hit something. one of the pins inside of the monitor plug is gone....but then again. I looked at the plug on my pc at work and the same pin is missing fromthis plug also, so I dont believe thats the problem. Where is the video card located???? Thats the only thing I can think of but I have no clue as to where its located on the back of the pc

The video card is where you plug the monitor into, unless you have onboard graphics, in which the 'video card' is located on your motherboard.

Yes missing 1 pin is normal on monitors.

Help!!!Monitor Problems!!!

Hey,
I have no idea what's going on with my monitor. The picture is all messed up. I think it might be the tube or something. This is an idea of wat it looks like.

/ \
/ \
---------------

I don't know if you understand but its like the sides are bent inwards and when i try to change the settings on the monitor nothing happens. I change the size but it just stays the same.

Please help!!!

Thanks

My old 15" Nokia monitor has the same problem once in a while, best sollution i've found is just to hit it on top of the monitor.

Most of the time it imidiatly jumps back to normal picture.

Greets Crazy,

PS: dont hit to soft but not to hard eighter

I think a new monitor might be the best solution, especially if this one is pretty old. As tony said you can get a pretty cheap one if you look around.

BTW :wave:Welcome to TechSpot :wave:

Check in your advance display properties, depending on the card and drivers sometimes you can change the way the display looks (i.e. not bent) without actually using the monitor controls. Also does this happen at all resolutions and refresh rates? Try changing the resolution and refresh rate if you haven't done so already.

also try to see if you on screen monitor menu has a degauss option. sometimes that can help.

Tony, just a thought have you checked the brightness controll is up, sometimes we neglect the smallest things. :)

Fred What u are experiencing is a pin cushion effect if your monitor has no control over pin cushion settings, you will have to reduce your refresh rate.

Originally posted by Shiney
Tony, just a thought have you checked the brightness controll is up, sometimes we neglect the smallest things. :)

Thanks for posting that Shiney.....I was just about to. I've seen cases here at work where some fun-loving gremlin has adjusted monitor settings down just to screw with people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back