Browser Redirector

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi and thanks from the get-go to whoever may be able to offer me help.

Recently my computer was infected by some sort of malware. I'm sure that a.exe and msa.exe were part of this but it seems that a browser redirector is included as well.

Here's what I have: Windows XP SP3 with Zone Alarm, Avira, and PC Tools Spyware Doctor.

Here are the symptoms: Google, Bing, Yahoo!, etc redirect whenever I click on search results in IE (not in Opera or FireFox); Malewarebytes, Windows Defender, SUPERAntiSpyware, and Sypbot S&D will not scan (they install but the programs crash right after scan begins); HiJackThis will not operate; Windows Update for the most part fails to install updates (except I was able to download and install IE8); Avira and Spyware Doctor both are able to scan but neither are detecting whatever the issue is; and nothing nefarious seems to be running when I look at task manager.

Any ideas about what I can do?

Again, thanks in advance!

Can you run any of those removal tools in SAFE MODE?
I would focus on MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpwyare, and forget about SpyBot (which is basically a cookie remover).
Malware Bytes and Avira will run in SAFE MODE. SuperAntiSpyware will not, as far as I know.

I tried running Malewarebytes in SAFE MODE and it did not work. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it in SAFE MODE with Networking so that I could run the update in SAFE MODE and it would not scan either. The scan begins but within seconds the program just disappears.

Tonight I'll be backing up all my photos and documents just in case I need to format and reinstall Windows. Wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back