BSOD 0x00000050

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been searching this site and the aumha site but can't find anything that matches this error:

Stop 0x00000050 (0xBA521CBA, 0x00000001, 0x81EFF740, 0x00000000)

The BSOD appeared for the first time two days ago and now it reappears within a few minutes of re-starting (and restoring to an earlier point in time) but not before I'm prompted by Norton that I need to do a live-update and download a new definitions file. When I finally downloaded the definitions file, the BSOD didn't appear as quickly but returned eventually.

First time this has happened so not sure what to do. My apologies if it's something basic!

From auhma.org: 0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

* As you can see it can be due to a myriad of reasons.

* Update your Norton software (not just the definitions).

Thanks! I'll try that when I get home and see if the problem stops. Would there be any reason to just diasble Norton and see what happens or am I just leaving myself open to serious problems?

Thanks! I'll try that when I get home and see if the problem stops. Would there be any reason to just diasble Norton and see what happens or am I just leaving myself open to serious problems?

As long as you aren't online. Honestly, we have dealt with many people here who have had issues with Norton/Symantec. Often the only recourse for many was to completely uninstall and use better options.

Before you do anything with Norton though attach your five latest minidumps. If you have 3 or less don't bother to Zip them.

How to find your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

I've got the last three minidumps which are all from this morning. There weren't any from the previous crashes so I'm assuming that they go away when I do a system restore? The first two came crashes this morning gave me an entirely different error 0x00000007E. The third one was back to the 0x000000050 error but this time, displayed "symefa.sys" on the screen a few lines from the top. Sounds like Norton is at least part of the problem if not the entire problem.

Two of the minidumps specifically cited the Norton/Symantec driver symefa.sys as the culprit.

You can either a) try updating the software (not just the definitions) to see if it resolves the issue or b) completely uninstall and after the initial uninstall go to their website and use their special Removal Tool for your version. Symantec software is so notorious about leaving driver remnants behind that they had to create these tools.

Thanks so much for the help!

Hopefully I can get this sorted out tonight when I get home. Do you recommend a replacement for Norton? I still have 6 months left but I wouldn't be against getting rid of it completely and trying something else if it would make life easier!

Thanks again!

I and many others are strong proponents of the layered method of protection meaning not putting one's security protection under one inclusive security suit. We use a combination of security options that work for us.

Two excellent free Antiviruses: Avast 4.8 Home and Avira Antivir. Yes, they are free and yes they provide real time protection and update daily.

Two superb $ Antivirus products: NOD32 and Kaspersky. I run NOD32 but Kaspersky is right there. You can't go wrong.

Two free and excellent firewalls: Comodo and the free version of Online Armor with HIPS. OA also has $ version.

Antispyware and Antimalware: Superantispyware (the free version is very good but you must update definitions manually; I have it on my second rig and laptop; paid version on my main PC and love it) and then there is Malwarebytes which is also excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back