BSOD - autochk.exe problems

Okay, so about two months ago my PC developed BSOD

This is the full error message:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
*** STOP: 0X000000ED (0X86B3A900, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

These are the computer's specs:

XP SP2
Pentium 4 (2.8GHz)
1GB RAM
G-Force FX 5500 (128MB)

The computer came pre-installed so I do not have the Windows XP CD-ROM. I do have the six boot floppies downloaded from the Microsoft website.

Once loading the boot floppies and accessing the Recovery Console I get the following options:

1: H:\MiniNT
2: H:\i386

I've tried both options (I don't understand what either of them means) in order to run chkdsk /r but it comes up with the following:

AUTOCHK.EXE could not be located in either the startup directory or the CDROM drive.

Type the full path (including drive letter) for the location of AUTOCHK.EXE:

I've tried C:\WINDOWS\System32 and I've tried, as best as I can, do make it check the floppies but nothing seems to work.

I've run fixboot anyway and it does something with a partition but the computer still has BSOD.

I've watched several videos on how to solve the problem and read various instructions and they always show the Recovery Console giving the option for C:, enter password, chkdsk /r, fixboot and that's it, problem solved.

I haven't got a clue why it asks about H:\MiniNT or H:\i386 or why it can't find autochk and I really need some help with this.

As I say, I do not have a WIndows CD-ROM all I have are the floppies and my only other computer (the one I am using now) is a WIndows 98 and it is very limited.

Any help is really appreciated.

Back