BSOD, duplicate hotfixes, suspicious run menu items

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good day to all,

Last Wed got BSOD bug check F4 revealed csrss.exe crashed. Rebooted, all ok for several days. Starting this Mon, PC will only function in safe mode. Memtest OK. NIC, GC drivers up to date, case fully cleaned of all dust and debris. Malware & spyware checks done several times, system appears to be clean.

Here is where things get odd. At every crash a new "Sequel Server SP3" hotfix is written to my hard drive; I currently have 39 of them and they are undeletable. The take the format of :

C:\15eae7971b20521204467534fb80\
C:\1c0b1c5f27888c0502ccbc802d\
C:\21fe82cde144f5caf71d\
C:\2a1ed4dbf04d6865c66119\
C:\2b37fa934e133b81a699b99b\
C:\2efa13142709321cda358112a22960\

Each one identical in size and content, each one related to the time of a crash.
I have several minidumps available, and am fairly proficient in the XP environment.

CPU: P4 2.2 GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte 8IP900
Ram Speed, size and #sticks: 2@1 gig each 133MHz
GPU: GEForce MX 440
PSU : Will get

Attach your five latest minidump files in your next post. Please don't Zip each and every one. You can Zip up five together.

I have attached the last 5 here. Also, when attempting to start up normally I am able to get process explorer running and notice that the crash occurs when the hotfix update process begins. Not sure if this is a problem or a symptom though.

View attachment 45873

All errors are 0x000000F4: CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION

One of the many processes or threads crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated. As a result, the system can no longer function. Specific causes are many, and often best resolved by a careful history of the problem and the circumstances of the error message -- which you have noted.

They all cite the Windows OS driver csrss.exe as the probable cause. It's function is described as follows:

The Microsoft Client Server Runtime Server subsystem utilizes the process csrss.exe for managing the majority of the graphical instruction sets under the Microsoft Windows operating system. As such Csrss.exe provides the critical functions of the operating system, and its termination can result in the Blue Screen of Death being displayed.

Csrss.exe controls threading and Win32 console window features. Threading is where the application splits itself into multiple simultaneous running tasks. Threads supported by csrss.exe are different from processes in that threads are commonly contained within the process, with various threads sharing resources within the same process. The Win32 console is the plain text window in the Windows API system (programs can use the console without the need for image display).

* Also, there have been worms, trojans, and viruses that go by this name as well. It would probably be a good thing for you to doa through scan of your system to make sure you are clean.

I've seen that as well. Is there any way to determine what is invoking that process or what is using it at the time of its crash? Also, what is the relationship to the hotfix files showing up on the hard drive with each crash, and why are they undeletable? As far as the history of the problem, it really is out of the blue. No changes were made to the system before the problem arose.

I have done a malware scan, spyware scan, and virus scan. I will attempt to do a virus scan in safe mode to see if anything shows up there. Would an inplace repair of the OS installation be of any help here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back