BSOD during boot on IBM Thinkpad T42, Win XP SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerum

Hello,

I have problems with BSOD during the boot on IBM Thinkpad T42,
Win XP SP2, simple configuration.

Most of boot cases (ca. 5 of 6) ends with UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M (1000007f).
sometimes the system is booting successfully and can work
hours without a problem.

There are no suspected events in log. I didn't make any changes
to hardware or software recently.

I've exchanges the memory with other T42 but it didn't help.
Also uninstallation of almost all drivers and switching off the hardware
(bluetooth, battery, etc.) have no impact.

I *think* its a software problem with windows or some driver,
because when system start it can be used extensively without any
suspect behaviour.

Here the debug of the minidump, I'm also attaching one example.
---
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M (1000007f)

Arguments:
Arg1: 00000008, EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT
Arg2: 80042000
Arg3: 00000000
Arg4: 00000000

Debugging Details:
------------------

BUGCHECK_STR: 0x7f_8

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME: System

UNALIGNED_STACK_POINTER: 08c2a583

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER: from 00000000 to 860a15bf

STACK_TEXT:
f73d5a90 00000000 6a7a2950 f73d5aac f5ca9077 0x860a15bf

STACK_COMMAND: kb

SYMBOL_NAME: ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE

FOLLOWUP_NAME: MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: Unknown_Module

IMAGE_NAME: Unknown_Image

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP: 0

BUCKET_ID: ZEROED_STACK
---

Please help what to check to find the reason of this problem.

Regards,
Kriss

Your error is 0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

The file states a bound trap but what driver is causing this is not stated. So, start with a good standard diagnostic step by running Memtest on your RAM.

1. Go to www.memtest.org and download the latest ISO version. It is free and perfectly safe.

2. Burn to a CD.

3. Place CD in your drive and reboot with CD in drive. (You might have to place your drive as first bootable in your BIOS) The test will take over.

4. Let it run for a LONG time. The rule is a minimum of 7 Passes. There are 8 individual tests per Pass. Many people will start this test before going to bed and check it the next day.

5. If you have errors you have corrupted memory and it needs to be replaced.

6. Also, with errors you need to run this test per stick of RAM. Take out one and run the test. Then take that one out and put the other in and run the test. If you start getting errors before 7 Passes you know that stick is corrupted and you don’t need to run the test any further on that stick.

* Get back to us with the results.

* If you can, attach us your five most recent minidump failes (not including the one you just gave).

Hello,

thank you for the answer.

I run the test you described and it got no errors. It doesn't surprised me,
because as I wrote, I've exchanged the memory with other T42 and have
still the same behavior.

I'm attaching more dumps.

regards,
Kriss

All are 0x7F as befofe and all are Analysis Inconclusive as before but they also point to bound trap.

What security software, imaging, and other third party softwares are you running?

Hello,

what does Analysis Inconclusive exactly mean? Is there a way to make it conclusive ?

I didn't install any new software recently, and this one, which is installed, is in my opinion non-critial:

IBM drivers for:
- Network: Intel PRO/1000 MT Mobile Connection
- Network: 11a/b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter II
- IBM Access Connections
- IBM Modem
- IBM Bluetooth
- TrackPoint UltraNav
- ACPI Power Management
- Battery
- USB
- ATI Radeon
- Monitor
- Audio

The only unsigned driver was Bluetooth. I've removed almost all drivers (inclusive Bluetooth) but it didn't help.

Other software are Acrobat Reader, Win Zip and some players. Thats all.

This PC was stable one year long and I'm pretty sure, if I install Windows and rest from the scratch, the problem will disapear. I would like to avoid it and find the reason of the problem (and solution), but if it will take to long I'll reinstall the system.

regards,
Kriss

By the fact that you have a bound trap we are looking at a driver issue. What security software are you running?

Hello,

I have only windows firewall (and hardware firewall on my router). It quite ok for me,
I don't suffer because of viruses. Sometimes I'm using online scanner (for example kaspersky) and I checked this PC today to be sure it's not a virus problem.
I'm not using any other security software running in background.

I've tried to protocoll and debug the boot process more detailed but it didn't give me any helpful information. I used the option /bootlog in boot.ini and created ntbtlog.txt but I didn't find problems there.

I have some questions:

- Is there other possibility to create more detailed protocol as ntbtlog.txt?
- Could the option /debug in boot.ini (msconfig) be helpful?
- Is there a possibility to run boot process in confirm mode, so I have to press a key before each module/driver is loaded/executed?
- Would it be helpfull to change the minidumps to the bigger dumps?

Best regards,
Kriss

Launch EventVwr.msc from your Run box and pay particular attention to any Red X's.

Windows XP firewall is very poor. Kaspersky's free online scanner no longer cleans if it finds anything, only reports. If you have the notion to, ESET's NOD32 free online scanner and BitDefender's free online scanner both detect and clean. All you need to do is allow them to install their Active X. Both are highly reputable.

the error events are reporting only the error from the dump (1000007f) and its arguments (00000008, 80042000, 00000000, 00000000). There are no related interesting warnings or information.

I switched off all non-microsoft services and all programs during boot (with msconfig) but it dodn't help.

hello,

this case is closed.

FYI: I've reinstalled the system (to the exactly same software level of windows, devices and applications) and it starts without problems. In my opinion it was a software problem. What a pity, the reason was not found.

Many thanx for all hints.

regards,
Kriss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back