BSOD / freezing at startup

Hello all :wave:,

New to the forums.

I've been having some pc problems. for some reason my pc has been giving me BSoD very suddenly after starting up windows 7, then restarting before I can read the type of error.

System Specs:
HP Pavillion a6357c
Motherboard (system board) Nettle2-GL8E - micro-ATX formfactor - Support AMD Socket AM2 processor
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ processor - 2.6GHz (socket AM2, 65Watt)
Vid Card Nvidia Geforce 9600 GT

I have 4 RAM slots in my pc. 2 blue, 2 gray. I had 2 x 1g cards in the 1st and 2nd slots, and 2 x 512mb in the 3rd and 4th slots for a total of 3 gigs. I ran memtest at start up on each of the 4 cards (at least 5 times each) and no errors were found.

One at a time I put the cards back into the slots, starting with the 2 x 1gig sticks. The 1g RAM in the 1st allowed me to boot up my pc just fine. Same thing with the other 1g in the 2nd slot...pc booted up fine. Once i got to the 3rd and 4th slots with the 512mb cards, the pc would give me the bsod again. I tried the 2 x 512mb cards in the 1st and 2nd slots and the pc would also not get past the blue windows loading screen.

The conclusion I came to was that, ok, maybe the 3rd and 4th RAM slots are bad, or the two 512mb RAM sticks went bad for some reason. So I thought I'd buy 1 stick of 2g RAM and use that with one of my existing 1g RAM sticks in the first 2 slots to give me back my 3gigs total, and this way i wouldn't need the 3rd and 4th slots at all. So...

The 2g stick came in and I installed it into the 1st slot. The 1g stick I put into the second slot. The computer would start up windows 7, but then freezes up and/or reboots about 10-20 seconds after. So then I tried the new 2g stick alone in the 1st slot and the same thing, computer freezes and/or reboots after 10-20secs. Why would the 2 x 1g sticks work, but not the 1x2g stick by itself?

I am fairly certain that the sticks are compatible as I used one of those programs that detect the RAM in your computer and suggest what to purchase. I also made sure the speeds were the same and that each card snapped into place properly. I also made sure that I was static free when inserting/removing cards. So I'm not sure where my problem is and I'm hoping someone knows something I don't.

Here is the 1g RAM that came with my PC:
1GB (1DIMM) memory module, PC2-5300, DDR2-667 SDRAM DIMM
The card itself reads (1GB 1Rx8 PC2-5300U-555-12-ZZ M378T2863DZS-CE6 0747)

Here is the 2g RAM that I just bought (straight from the card and package):
PNY 2GB, DD2 DIMM, I
BOQIT-T PO146281
MD2082D2 - 667
Here is everything I have done so far to try to correct this problem (other than what I have already mentioned above):

- Swapped out Video Cards
- updated all drivers
- system restore to earlier date
- disk check tells me the disk cannot be repaired
- clean reinstall of Windows 7
- blew all the dust out of the pc
- made sure all cards were seated properly
- unplugged all devices from usb ports except mouse

I tried posting my dump files but when I click “open” it tells me I cannot perform this action because I’m not authorized.
I also downloaded the freeware from majorgeeks that you suggest in order to check the temperature, but could not find where it exactly in tells me.

I'm not the most tech savy person, but i'm not the worst. so if you could use layman's terms I would be greatful. Thank you!

Since you have a 32-bit version of Windows, you will only see 3.2GB total memory, no matter how much memory you have installed. We know that the 2GB memory module doesn't work. The PNY specs are not complete. Is there any other info on the package? Do the IC chips on the modules look the same? Are the same number of chips on both the old and new memory. As a general rule it is not wise to mix memory module types... DDR2 PC-5300, 667 non-ECC should be the right memory type for the motherboard

Back