BSOD, have done debug, logs included

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I read through the thread on how to debug minidumps, and have included the logs. I can include the original dumps if you prefer. A little history:

I bought and built 5 identical computers in June, all new parts. Two of them are blue screening a lot, the others are fine. The computers are lightly used for business, so mainly MS Office and Quickbooks and not overclocked. They are connected to a switch and a windows 2000 server for a shared drive. They are basically:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 Brisbane 1.9GHZ 2X512KB 65NM 65W Retail Box
ASUS M2A-VM mATX AM2 AMD 690G DDR2 PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI Video VGA DVI Sound Motherboard
Patriot Signature Line 2GB 2X1GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL5 240PIN Memory Dual Channel DIMM Kit
Seagate Barracuda 80GB 7200.9 8MB SATA Hard Drive
Antec Sonata III Black ATX 16IN Mid Tower Quiet Case 3X5.25 2X3.5 4X3.5IN 500W Air Duct 120MM Fan

I doubt they are overheating, very cool in here and those cases breath well. The power supply should be fine, 500W antec. I had video driver problems with all of them at first, but I guess that was a known issue with this mobo and seems to be resolved in more recent driver versions. I've updated the bios. I've ran memtest and made it through a full pass with no errors, I haven't had a chance to run longer yet.

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm thinking it's onboard video problems still, or RAM. Network issues couldn't cause this could it? I know our network doesn't run great, but I can't see how it would cause this and only on 2 computers.

The two computers I'll reference by the users Rita and Corrine. Rita's seems to be random, any program can cause it, and about once a week but getting more frequent. Almost always a pink square somewhere on the bluescreen. Corrine's usually happens sometime during the night when no one is on, her's is the only one left on 24/7 to do backups. I noticed a pink square this morning on the bluescreen, but I don't know if it has been there ongoing. I will post Rita's logs in this message, corrine's in the next.

Attachments

• Mini121207-02.txt
    16.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Mini121207-01.txt
    13.9 KB · Views: 5
Both have symptoms of a hardware problem. Corrine's has some memory errors, which is a sign of a RAM problem. Rita's has crashed at IRQL 1c, and this is almost always a hardware problem, with RAM at the top of the list. I would start by checking the voltage requirement of the RAM and maybe increasing it slightly.

I appreciate the help. Here are the RAM specs:

* PC2-6400 (800MHz) Data Rate
* 240-Pin Dual in-line memory module
* Non-ECC Unbuffered
* 2 Rank Double-sided module
* 7.8US Refresh Interval (8192 CYCLES/64MS)
* 1.8V Power Requirement
* Auto and self refresh capability
* PCB height:1181 (mil)
* Serial Presence-Detect (SPD)
* 100% Tested
* Lifetime Manufacturer Warranty
* RoHS Compliant

The ram is on auto settings. I will try running memtest for a few hours and maybe bumping it up slightly if I get errors. I have read this motherboard doesn't allow custom ram settings very well, so I'm a little worried about doing it. I notice using cpu-z the RAM is listed as 380mhz (see below), so is my motherboard underclocking my RAM automatically?

Chipset
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Northbridge ATI RS690/RS690M rev. 00
Southbridge ATI SB600 rev. 00
Memory Type DDR2
Memory Size 2048 MBytes
Memory Frequency 380.1 MHz (CPU/5)
CAS# 5.0
RAS# to CAS# 5
RAS# Precharge 5
Cycle Time (tRAS) 16
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 21
Command Rate 2T

Memory SPD
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIMM #1

General
Memory type DDR2
Manufacturer (ID) PDP Systems (7F7F7F7F7F020000)
Size 1024 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC2-6400 (400 MHz)
Part number

Update

I ran memtest on both machines for about 5 hours / 5 passes last night. Neither machine had an error.

I looked at upping the voltage, it shouldn't be a problem. I guess it is the timings that don't modify well on the motherboard, not the voltage. I haven't done it yet though but I will if you guys think it will help.

Interesting development. We received an animated powerpoint christmas card and it locks up any of the 5 computers if played. It's the first file I've found that is consistent like that. It gets to the first screen then locks. I've tried it on other computers and it works, just these 5. So I'm really thinking it's a video problem. You can see the file here if you like:

http://files-upload.com/files/685607/Presentation that locks up my computer.pps

I've tried both rolling back and updating to the newest video drivers, doesn't seem to help. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back