BSOD on fastfat.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.
OS = Windows Professional / with Zonealarm and avast! 4.5 - heard rumours that ZA could be the problem. Happens now and again...

Error: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe. Crash dump file attached

Struggling to diagnose.. any help would be appreciated.
J

Your Debugger is not using the right symbol library, so your results may have incomplete or inaccurate information. You should set it up with the correct symbol library.

Have you run sfc /scannow (Defective system files, should be replaced.)

RE: Your Minidump analysis
DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: DRIVER_FAULT
BUGCHECK_STR: 0x7E
Arg1: c0000005, The exception code that was not handled
EXCEPTION_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000005 - The instruction at "0x%08lx" referenced memory at "0x%08lx". The memory could not be "%s".

There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including
  • hardware incompatibility,
  • a faulty device driver or system service,
  • or some software issues.
You may check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

Since you have reason to suspect ZoneAlarm (I am not sure why... my only complaint is the high overhead, so ...)
You may want to uninstall it and install
  • Comodo (my personal choice) or
  • Online Armor (highly recommended by one of my friends).

You may want to rule out hardware issues...
  • Try making sure your drivers are updated... especially video drivers.
  • But do go to the website of your board's maker, and make sure you have the latest version of the chipset drivers for your board.

You may want to rule out malware issues... Try the 8 steps found here... https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

If you would like, someone here could look at your minidumps and try to learn more... attach a zip of several of your most recent to your next post.

HTH

Cryptainer ME caused the problem

Thanks for your reply B00kWyrm. I did a little further research and found Cryptainer ME was the cause of my BSOD. In fact it only BSOD's when I have a second volume open. Cryptainer creates partitioned volumes which sometimes can cause Windows problems.

Happy days!
IDTPJules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back