BSOD on fresh install of XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been having BSOD's for about 30 days now.

I've tried removing all the hardware in the computer except for the hard drives.

I've swapped out memory, video cards, nic cards, and removing all USB devices.

I'm running a fresh install of XP Pro (2 days old.)

I'm getting Problem caused by a device driver.

Latest error (5 minutes old) was

Stop 0x0000008E (0xc0000005, 0xbf8ec8ae, 0b640cbc8, 0x00000000)

Win32k.sys address bf8ec8ae Base at bf800000.

I'm using an athlon 64 3000+ cpu

Motherboard is a K8M800-M2.

From this information can you please tell me if it's the motherboard or the CPU that's going belly up?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Your minidumps crash with various culprits and bugchecks. This is often a sign of a hardware problem.

Check your system for overheating.

Make sure nothing is overclocked.

Even though you`ve swapped out the ram, make sure your ram is compatible with your mobo. Also, if you`re running more than one stick of ram, try running with just one stick. I still recommend you run memtest86+ on your ram. See HERE. Let it run for at least seven passes.

Check to see if you psu is putting out enough power for your system. Especially check how many amps your psu delivers on the 12volt rail. You can find this info on the psu label.

Check your mobo for bulging or leaking capacitors. See HERE for more info.

Run a disk check on your hard drive.

It is possible it`s a cpu problem, but they are relatively rare.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Assuming it`s not a ram problem, you should checkout the rest of the suggestions I made.

It would be useful if you`d give us the specs(make model) of your psu, including how many amps it gives on the 12volt rail.

You might also want to take a look at this thread HERE.

Regards Howard :)

I've blown off the entire motherboard with canned air. I've blown out the heat sink fins under the fan for the CPU. I've got a huge box fan blowing into my case with the side removed.

Temperature diagnostics read my cpu temperature at 34 degrees C.

Checking the capacitors now.

My Power sulply is a deer Model DR-A300atx Max 300 watts.

+5 VSB 2A

+12 volts is ??

Reviews on this power supply aren't reassuring.. Hmm...

I've been using this power supply for a couple years now maybe it's time for another.

I have to reboot because some system files won't give check disk full access..

0 bad sectors on either of my drives.

I can see no leaking or defective capacitors (looking at the motherboard from the side with a flashlight.)

Yeah, a Deer 300W PSU isn't so good... Especially with an Athlon 64 3000+ system.

It is very likely it is failing, as many do over time. Try swapping it out with another (if you can get your hands on another one). You can also attempt removing all extra devices (disconnect extra drives, all optical drives, remove extra memory, unnecessary PCI/PCI-e cards and so on). Any better?

Aside from that, memory, motherboard and CPU would be the most likely hardware culprits. And of course, drivers are a possibility too.. Try using older ones or newer ones if you're not downloading the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back