BSOD "Page Fault in Nonpaged Area" - 10000050

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on a Dell I6000 (2.17ghz P-M, 1x1gb RAM, 80GB hard drive, 128mb dedicated video) running XP SP2, and I've been having some problems. For the past month or two, it mouse acts VERY slowly and is very jerky (e.g. I move the mouse via the touchpad, and it doesn't respond for like 1 second, when it jumps half the screen). In addition, when I start up after hibernation (or recover from hibernation), I'll randomly get the "Select your option: Continue to load from hibernation OR delete restoration data and perform a complete boot" (obviously, that's not the exact wording, but it's the screen you see if you press F8 while coming out of hibernation). So, this makes me think the keyboard is automatically sending the F8 button randomly. In addition, there are times when I perform a complete restart that the computer beeps very loudly and persistently, even before it gets to the BIOS screen.

Well, I've installed a keylogger that records all key presses (including F keys) to see if I could confirm my suspicioun. Well, according to a couple of keyloggers, there are no "random" buttons being 'pressed'. Interestingly, when the mouse is responding extremely slowly, I can temporarily fix the problem by holding down any keyboard key. For example, I can hold down the F8 key right now; as long as I am holding it down, everything is 'normal'. A few seconds after I stop holding down a key, I go back to a slow mouse movement. Task Manager doesn't show any sort of problem with high CPU useage during these times (system idle near 90% or more), and the problem is very inconsistent (i.e. it doesn't happen all the time). I can go a week without seeing this problem, but then have it surface for the 5-6 days before disappearing again.

Previously, I would occassionally get a problem where the computer would beep very loudly (not a high-pitched beep like one would expect after the BIOS loads, but a deeper, longer beep) and lock up. I would have to remove ALL power (unplug from AC adapter AND remove battery) in order for this to stop. This has made me very nervous using the computer in public or at school, since it seems to happen randomly.

Well, I'm now getting BSODs. I've downloaded the XP Support Tools and run dumpchk and pstat. Here's what I get from the popup when I boot into XP after the BSOD:

BCCode: 10000050 BCP1: FFCFCFCE BCP2: 00000000 BCP3: 805A4DF9 BCP4: 00000000 OSVer: 5_1_2600 SP: 2_0 Product: 256_1

Unfortunately, I don't see an "ExceptionAddress" in the dumpchk.exe run, which would give me an idea whether or not a bad driver is causing all of this (since I could match that address up with the "Local Addr" field from pstat.

Under Event Viewer, I see a whole load of "Warning"s. The majority's source is "MsiInstaller", with a description of "Detection of product '{1A15507A-8551-4626-915D-3D5FA095CC1B}', feature '_ISUS', component '{ACD935F6-53F3-469B-842F-2CE17B80840C}' failed. The resource 'HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Corel\Auto Update\{1A15507A-8551-4626-915D-3D5FA095CC1B}\Interval' does not exist." This only appears when I load up PaintShopProX, which doesn't seem related to this problem (since I've had it when I hadn't loaded up PSPx too). I also see this under type "Information": "The description for Event ID ( 2003 ) in Source ( EAPOL ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: The event log file is corrupt.."

*EDIT: Actually, those are returns that I see immediately after bootup. There are no logs between my last bootup and the time of the crash, other than the Information entry of "eventlog" and 'SaveDump', which occur after the crash (or during it).

I've included the dmp file. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

EDIT: I should add that I've had several instances where XP would pop up and say that drwatson.exe (or something similar) needs to close. I'd have no option but to let it shut down that program/process. I hadn't had that issue before this whole problem started, so I think it may be related somehow. That seems to happen once a week or less. I think Dr Watsons is a debug tool, correct?

The process mentioned is TaskSwitch.exe. Is this one of Microsoft's Powertoys? If it is, you can safely remove it to see if it fixes the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back