BSOD won't let me past windows logo

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodie

Hi,

I recently have been receiving a lot of problems with my computer and receiving a variety of different blue screens and error codes. I posted a thread a little while ago in the virus section here, followed all the steps - my computer was running better and faster after that, but unfortunately it hasn't fixed my problems. It still restarts or randomly comes up with the bsod.

This morning when I went to turn the computer on, it started up fine until I got to the Windows logo, then it went straight to the bsod with this message: STOP: 0x00000024 (various other codes here, if you need them I'll just go start up the comp again) and telling me to run chkdsk, disable stuff, defrag, etc.

Problem is I can't run chkdsk seeing as every single time, without fail, I start the computer, it keeps going to this blue screen. It ran chksk the other night during startup because the computer had restarted so many times and it appeared to be fixing a lot of errors. Inserting index files into $0 of file 9 or something like that. And stuff with security descriptors.

I don't have the Windows XP Home Edition installation disk, all I have is an NEC XP. I tried running that but every time I put it in it keeps saying "insert CD-ROM 1" or something similiar. That is the disc I'm supposed to use, so I don't know what's happening there.

I ran memtest86+ the other week and it said my RAM had nearly 2 million errors. I bought another one on ebay, it arrived today but they sent me the wrong one and obviously it doesn't fit. So I still have the bad RAM in. When I replace the RAM, do you think this will solve the problem and I can boot up properly?

Anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this? I've pulled enough hair out this morning in frustration, so any help is much appreciated :)

Edit: Oh, I should have mentioned.... I tried booting into safe mode and last known working config. but neither will work. It still takes me to the bsod after windows logo :\

I live in Australia and by the looks of those sites, they appear to be for the US. The one I got off ebay only cost $2.50 and $5.50 postage. I'm hoping the seller will send out replacements seeing as they messed up.

So hopefully it is just the RAM then. Is there anyway I can run chkdsk before it gets to that bsod? I read you can run it from XP installation disk, but seeing as I don't have that, is there any other way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back