Budget Burning Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfoxtx

Hey people,

I woke up this morning with a lovely burning smell coming from my computer, always the type of thing you hope for.

Once I had quickly turned the computer off and taken it to pieces i identified the offending piece as the ATX connection between the motherboard and my psu. All 4 red cables (which I understand to bet he 5v rail) had managed to cause significant melting to the plastic on both devices.

The PSU is relativly new, its a Thernaltake Silent Purepower 480w, while the mobo is a little older as a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (KT333).

I have no idea what caused the problem, but after a little snooping around on the web, i conlcuded that the connection was probably loose, or not seated correctly in some way.

I intend to get the psu replaced by thermaltake, as there's no reason it shouldn't still be under-warranty, alas that doesn't look like a capability for the mobo.

So I've been thinking about what to get for an upgrade. I just recently bought a Radeon 9600 XT and a Athlon 2400+, so given that I don't want to have to buy a new CPU right now, im thinking about a KT600 or a nforce2 mobo. I am also currently running 2x256 of PC2100 ram, which I'd like to upgrade to a gig, but given the way that PC3200 is pretty much the same price as PC2100, i was wondering if there was any reason to buy the cheaper variety.

I'm also wondering if the chipset on a kt600 is capable of running higher speed ram (like PC3200) I'd be able to take advantage of it while still using the Athlon 2400+.

I guess, in conclusion does anyone have any suggestions on which mobo would be best to get, and what ram would make the most sense.

Cheers everyone.

(Full SYS STATS: http://www.soton.ac.uk/~ajc802/sysstat.html )

Motherboard Asus A7N8X Ultra 400
Hopefully you have Windsows XP.

You would get better results with a faster processor. The processor would be running at a 333 or 400 FSB and the cache size of the processor would be larger and the throughput of the memory would be more larger. An XP2800 processor would be nice.

How do you know the processor or some of the drives or the memory are not bad?

Definately on Windows XP
The 2400+ I have at the moment I'm planning on keeping, esp considering there isn't a huge performance jump to a 2800+. My only concern is that the because the 2400+ runs at 266mhz it will restrict the the memory to 266mhz, making it pointless to get anything beyond PC2100, is that a correct assumption?

(And I don't know that the proc, mem, or drives are bad, im praying that there was no permenant damage beyond the melting on the ATX connectors)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back