Budget upgrade: Upgrade to Core 2 motherboard, AM2 or 939?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallabing

I have a Gigabyte Socket 775 motherboard with an AGP video card, and I want to upgrade to a system that has PCI express X 16 for a new video card. The thing is, I dont want to see my 2gb PC3200 dual channel kit go to waste because all the new motherboard are DDR2 only.

So is it too late to upgrade to 939? With the money saved without getting new memory for conroe boards or AM2, and the relativly inexpensive price for a 939 board, I can get a Athlon 64 X2 3800 for 939 which is much, much faster than my current cpu, and get PCIX16 video card support, all the things that I exactly want!

Works For Me

Sounds like you have thought things out. If you want to save your DDR I (thats what it is called now) a socket 939 motherboard is the way to go. Still avaiable for the present, and socket 939 dual core processors are coming down in price. Just make sure your memory is compatiable with the new motherboard. You should be good for a while, although the future belongs to DDR II.

I'd say if your trying to do a budget Pc for around 200 bucks you can get a new AM2 board and a AM2 3000+ orleans the new revision which are super fast overclockers thats a good buy and still have the PCIE x16 you want but I personally have a Epox Nvidia nforce 4 board and a X2 3800+ and I could not be any happier this thing will run anything u throw at it flawlessly the processor multi-tasks like a dream i can be running 3 different games and have internet explorer open and still doesn't bog down i have yet to see my CPU temp go over 35C under full load even playing for hours but i also have the Zalman CNPS9500 attached so that helps alot but my buddy has the same processor with the stock cooler and his never goes over 41-45C AMD has got the lock on these Dual cores granted there more pricey then the Intel ones but as always you get what u pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back