Building a Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

THERAP1ST

I'm building a computer for the first time, and so far basically what I have done is gone through newegg.com and put together as much of the parts as I can. My budget is $2K, I'll mostly be using this computer for gaming, I need every thing except a mouse and OS(supposedly my friend can legally get me XP pro for $13.99 where he goes to college, if not I can get it for $99). This is what I have so far.

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
Price:$202, $152 after $50 mail in rebate.
Link
ORDERED

HD
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
· Model #: WD2500KS
· Item #: N82E16822144701
· $89.99($79.99 after $10.00 Mail-In Rebate)
Link

Monitor
HYUNDAI B70A Siver-Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 0.264mm Pixel Pitch - Retail
Model#: B70A
Item#: N82E16824179015
Price: $159.00
Link

Mother Board
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
· Model #: A8N32-SLI Deluxe
· Item #: N82E16813131568
· $189.99
Link

Processor
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2000MHz HT 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail
· Model #: ADA4200BVBOX
· Item #: N82E16819103547
· $357.00
· Expected to drop to close to $240 by July 25 2006. Link to story.
Link

Video Card
ASUS EN7900GTX/2DHTV/512M Geforce 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Core clock: 650MHz
DirectX: DirectX 9
DVI: 2
Memory Clock: 1600MHz
Memory Interface: 256-bit
OpenGL: OpenGL 2.0
PixelPipelines: 24
TV-Out: HDTV/S-Video Out
VIVO: No
Model #: EN7900GTX/2DHTV/512M
Item #: N82E16814121002
Link

CD/DVD Burner
SONY Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner - OEM
Model #: DWQ120AB2
Item #: N82E16827131031
Price:$35
Link

CD Drive
SONY Black 52X CD-ROM IDE CD-ROM Drive Model CDU5225 - OEM
Model#: CDU5225 BLK
Item#: N82E16827101134
Price: $14.99
Link

Case
XION Ultimate Engineering XON-002 Black/Silver SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 450 Watt (P4 & AMD Ready) Power Supply - Retail
Model #: XON-002
Item #: N82E16811208004
Price:$64.99
Link
ORDERED

Keyboard
Logitech Ultra X 967353-0403 2-Tone 104 Normal Keys 6 Function Keys PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard - OEM
Model #: 967353-0403
Item #: N82E16823126135
Price:$21.99
Link

Power
Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, TUV, CB, FCC CLASS B, CUL - Retail
Price:$83.99, $68.99 after $15 mail in reabate
Link
ORDERED

EDIT:Monitor and PSU updated.
EDIT 2: RAM, PSU, and Case ordered.

Without delving heavy into your parts, the one thing I noticed most is the power supply. It's great to get an aftermarket supply, but I would bump that up to something with more power. I wouldn't trust a $33.99 power supply. Quality starts around $60-$130.
Others may have different opinions on the matter.

So far so good, don't know anything about the quality of the power supply and LCD makers though. Just read the reviews.

She should be a devil of a system!

Dont go cheap on the power supply. you will regret it later. especially of your cheapo PSU goes bad and fries your nice new exspensive components. get a goood quality power supply like antec.

the power supply has the abilty to destroy your entire system at once, and a cheap brand like "XCLIO" is about as generic as it gets. if you read the specs on that PSU you will see that there is no overload protection on the 12v rail (very bad), what that means is that if you draw too much power from it, then POOF!! say goodbye to your expensive newly built system :eek:

do not, i repeat do not be cheap about buying a power supply, they are not all the same. as a new builder, it is easy to assume that it's not an important component... but any experienced computer builder will tell you how important a quality PSU.

you cannot go by the wattage rating on cheap PSUs. that 500w XCLIO psu will never provide 500 watts. my antec TP2.0-380 has the same specs per rail and Antec rates it at 360watts.
here's a nice guide on quality PSUs in every price range, and also which brands to stay away from.

If money is an issue why you won't buy a good PSU, then why not ditch the sound card? you don't need it. your mobo already has 8 channell surround built in which is good enough for most people. I could never justify spending $172 on a sound card.

Wow I'm a huge noob, uhmm I didn't know that my mother board had a surround sound built in, awsome F the sound card. Yes!!! $172 off my total.

You best change your RAM too. You mobo specs say "DDR Standard DDR 400 (PC 3200)" not DDR2 etc...
Switch to the Corsair XMS Extreme, or a different model OCZ. But match what the mobo takes.

Does your keyboard choice include a mouse? Or do you have one? Then consider a keyboard/mouse combo. I personaly don't like wireless, I would avoide a wireless kit. But just so you have a mouse :)

What about speakers?

Then consider bumping your 2nd optical drive from a plain CD-ROM to a DVD player. A CD-ROM is next to useless anymore except for simple copies of playing audio CDs. But a DVD player gives you some extra functions for not much more.

Lastly, don't forget a good gamers mouse pad for your cool new mouse :) Like a Ratz Pad or something. You know, just to round out the package.

Enjoy!

Cool I just ordered my RAM(2GB Corsair XMS), my PSU(Antec TPII-550ATX RTL), and my case(XION XON-002 BLK/SIL 450W RT). I didn't pick a mouse key combo b/c I got logitec optical gaming mouse for my b-day last january. Some one on another forum suggested to me to get just a CD drive for games but I'll take your advice over his b/c I don't think he knew a hole lot about it. And I forgot that I haden't listed the speakers I was looking at so here they are. =)

Logitech THX Z-5300e 280 Watts RMS 5.1 Speaker – Retail
Price: $134.99
Link

Pretty good deal considering I saw them at best buy today for $205.

And thank you to every one who has posted and helped me with this. *offers plate of cookies and glass of milk too all*

Hey, good news, hope it comes together for you.

I assume you will also build the thing yourself? Please please please watch your static!! If you zap something and the parts don't work, you will cry like a baby :)
What I like to do is actually PLUG in the power supply in the case, but have the toggle switch to OFF. This way the entire case is grounded and all you have to do is touch any metal on the case to ground yourself.
Some people use wrist straps to an outlet, which is cool, but you may not have the same ground as your case. I think, because your are installing the parts IN the case, you should be grounded to the case, so it all has the same ground. In short, attach your wrist strap to the case when it's plugged in.

As for the speakers, hey, if it's THX, I'm sure it will rock!

I just noticed something the mobo I have selected dosen't say Athlon 64 X2 under supporered CPU types in the info given by newegg.com. Link , scroll down to specifications.

I may be totally mistaken but I think it will still work fine. I don't think the socket has to support a dual core CPU.

Anybody?

You might want to check the mobo makers website and see what they say about the board. they may even have a bios update that enables support for the 64x2.

Do you guys have any suggestions on cooling devices or will the fans built in to the case be enough? Oh and the Ratzpad is looking pretty cool, I might get that depending on how much the total shipping cost for it all is.

Cooling is a tricky subject, you'll get a lot of different replies.

My simple advice is to use all the stock cooling you get. Have at least one exhaust fan and one intake. More the merrier.
If you have more then that, great. Just install a temp monitor (motherboard utility CD usually has one). And if you start to get hot, add more. If there just is no cooling it, consider liquid cooling, but that gets expensive.

New Question

Do you guys have any suggestions on usb dirves/ports? BTW I would prefer it be able to come out the front of the case.

Make sure the case you buy has two front USB 2.0 ports. if the case you selected doesnt take a look at the antec P160.

Yeah... about that... I already bought and received the case, and I don't see any front usb 2.0 ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back