Building a NAS/eSATA Media Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deviouz

I have quite a few HDD's (SATA & IDE) laying about on my desk that have loads of media files on them, I would like to build some sort of NAS/eSATA media server box to house them all in and have the possibility to connect this box to my home Network / PC / PS3 / Multimedia Playing Device/ HDTV..

What would be the best way to go about doing this..??
I Have a LINKSYS WRT310N - Wireless-N Gigabit Router on my home network,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124276
I also got a few Gigabit CAT6 cables laying around, i have at least 15 or more HDD's lying around with countless media files on them..

What else would you guys recommend getting/doing to make a big ol server box to house all these HDD's in and have them connect through either a Gigabit CAT6 cable though my network router or an eSATA cable or HiSpeed USB Cable..??

What would be the best thing to do or route to take for this kinda setup..??

I really doubt if you are going to use all 15 drives. You will need a server quality case to fit the most of your drives, a server quality motherboard, CPU, memory and power supply or power supplies (more than one supply)... and lots of $$$

A system operating as a fileserver would be a step in the right direction.

Unless you have a reason to make each HD individually accessible, the Windows
Dynamic Disk option would allow you to show one (or a limited set of) logical disks
to the connected users.

Keep in mind, that without the Windows Server OS, you are limited to 10 shared (concurrent) connections.
Four shares accessed by two users would be 8 connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back