Building a new computer (first time builder) - seeking advice on selected parts

dopout

I'm making a gaming computer. I spent a long time browsing newegg looking at parts, looking up things in descriptions and specs that seemed important, and trying to make sure what i was looking at was all compatable together. I took into consideration all of the advice i received.

Now I am just waiting for the delivery of all parts, and will build it. I'm sure I'll be making new threads soon enough too troubleshoot building problems hehe.

I appreciate everyones replies in this thread.

Processor: $208.99
Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80605I5760

Motherboard: $179.99
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard w/ USB 3.0 & SATA 6 Gb/s

RAM: $104.99
CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C8

Power supply : $89.99
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Hard drive: $74.99
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Case: $89.98
COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

DVD/CD drive/burner: $22.99
Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA CD/DVD Burner LightScribe Support - OEM

Video Card: $239.99
EVGA 01G-P3-1372-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

and going to use my current GeForce 9600 GT by PNY in second PCIe slot, i can do that right?

Sound Card:
Not getting one, seems to be no good reason to.

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Screen: $219.99
ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 ASCR 20000:1 (1000:1) Built-in Speakers

Mouse: current g5 gaming mouse

Speakers: Current dell speakers + subwoofer

Keyboard: current dell keyboard

Thanks for your help and advice :)

In the order that you asked the questions...
The motherboard includes SATA cables (four most probably-usually a shocking orange colour).
Yes, 650w is plenty for the PSU. The Corsair is an excellent choice and the system as a whole would be very cost effective and a nice performer.
I wouldn't bother with a standalone sound card unless you require very high audio fidelity.
Yes, Windows 7 (64-bit). If you plan on keeping the system for a while then buying the cheaper OEM version (as opposed to the Retail verion) is probably the way to go.

Unless you're going for a relatively high-powered dual-GPU setup in the future like two GTX 460s (and a new screen capable of at least 1920x1080) and overclocking the CPU, you can drop down to a lower-rated PSU without problems.

I wouldn't get a sound card or SATA cable.

Looks good, weak card but if you're not really gaming much its fine.

Talking about the video card? All I do is game on my computer, SC2 league play like 9 hours a day right now, and Cataclysm is coming, I want a computer that is gonna rape them to bits, and will continue to handle new games coming out, on their highest settings, for atleast 2 years to come.

I was hoping not to have to blow more to get a video card, but if the one I was gonna use is going to severely limit gaming performance, any suggestions on new one? Maybe like 200$ limit on it.

"Unless you're going for a relatively high-powered dual-GPU setup in the future like two GTX 460s (and a new screen capable of at least 1920x1080) and overclocking the CPU, you can drop down to a lower-rated PSU without problems."

I considered that 650 is probably overkill right now, I intend for it to last through YEARS of upgrades. So though I thought as i picked it that I could just pick a cheaper one that would be fine, I also realized its probably a good idea to get the overkill one now, so that i dont have to upgrade it later, when i upgrade my system with new technologies requiring more power. Does that sound like a good idea, or am I being vein?

dividebyzero, thanks for all the insight.

All responses great help so far, thank you so much :)

Consider dropping down to this case, getting some 120mm fans for it (I recommend the Yate Loon D12SL-12, Scythe S-Flex SFF21F, Scythe Gentle Typhoon and the Feser Triebwerk TK-122), and getting an HD 5770\GTX 460 (whichever you can better afford).

Yeah, I have a 9600gt and it isn't absolutely fantastic for SC2 on highest, though I don't use highest because its harder to see sometimes.

So theres a lot of different builds of one video card, so looking at the gtx 460, i dunno which is trash and which is better.

Here is the list i sorted, gtx 460 1 gig, by best rating. I need some real insight into what is the diff between each one, whats it matter?

newegg.com/Product/Produc...G&PageSize=100

Theres even this GPU, 2g for like 20$ more than the 1gig ones, but i dont know if its a reputable brand etc, it seems suspect that its 2gig, but only slightly more expensive. newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814261077

A lot of video cards are just based on the reference design. Those are all the same except maybe the included extras (games, cables). Then you have some that are reference designs but are clocked higher. Then you have non-reference designs, better coolers, more memory, etc.

The GTX 460 768MB dropped in price recently. I expect the 1GB to start falling a little as well.

It's pretty easy to find reviews of most models if you're interested in one in particular. I tend to buy eVGA, ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte products but you won't really find any terrible cards unless there some huge flaw in the design.

Not really, all gtx460's all use the same GPU, however, benchmarks show that the 1gb version does provide a decent amount of benefit. Usually extra memory doesn't because the card is limited by it's processing power.
EVGA is one of the best, along with XFX. I'd chose EVGA over XFX though.

EVGA 01G-P3-1370-TR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

EDIT: About the price drops, thats true, with the 768mb version dropping ≈ $40, i'd expect the 1gb to follow pretty soon.

Thanks for the insight, now I can browse and select one for the build. I'll update my OP soon with parts I changed based on peoples advice + vid card. :)

Picked out a video card, looking for final advice before i order the parts. thanks everyone!

Just so you know Win 7 Home is only good for 16 Gig Ram Max. I bought a i7 950 for $250 and the Gigabyte 1366 MB for $199 this weekend. don't know why you settle for an i5??

Just so you know Win 7 Home is only good for 16 Gig Ram Max. I bought a i7 950 for $250 and the Gigabyte 1366 MB for $199 this weekend. don't know why you settle for an i5??
:(
We should get one of those emoticons that hold up a sign saying "ban?".

EDIT: I'm tired and angry - forgive me.

:(
We should get one of those emoticons that hold up a sign saying "ban?".

EDIT: I'm tired and angry - forgive me.

If this is in some way directed towards me I don't understand what you are meaning. Did I say something wrong by suggesting an i7 instead of an i5? Well sorry cause I love my i7 950.

skulldrinker said:
What difference does a 16GB RAM cap make? I fail to see the relevance.

The only reason he's "settled" for an i5+P55 combo is price vs performance; game performance is not affected significantly by an i7, and the price difference of around $200 is not justified unless the machine is intended for extreme OCing and running a lot of CPU-intensive software such as that used for rendering.

You love your i7, good for you, but please keep in mind others' needs and their budget before recommending the same to them.

Thanks for your input Skull, Rage beat me to what my reply would have been, the setup i chose is stuff that will make me a good system to last a long time, be a great system for a while, without blowing too much for the best of the best just because.

I selected all my parts, and ordered them, Everything came from Edison NJ warehouse but the case...so i probably wont be able to build till monday/tuesday :[

Ill opdate OP with everything i picked and ill try to remember to come back and post a pic of the end result. :)

Since the P55 chipset only has 4 RAM slots in the first place, why is 16GB limit in Win 7 Home even worth mentioning? That's 4 4GB DIMMS, which equals 16GB. Just so YOU know.......!! Wow, do you really drink from skulls? you're my hero. :rolleyes: I'd like to know, "where is the flipping the bird while it's mooning somebody smiley"? I suppose, like the core i5, this will have to do....:haha:

With that out of the way, I'd like to recommend Win 7 Pro. With "XP Mode", you can be fairly certain that all of your old software can be made to run.

Since the P55 chipset only has 4 RAM slots in the first place, why is 16GB limit in Win 7 Home even worth mentioning? That's 4 4GB DIMMS, which equals 16GB. Just so YOU know.......!! Wow, do you really drink from skulls? you're my hero. :rolleyes: I'd like to know, "where is the flipping the bird while it's mooning somebody smiley"? I suppose, like the core i5, this will have to do....:haha:

With that out of the way, I'd like to recommend Win 7 Pro. With "XP Mode", you can be fairly certain that all of your old software can be made to run.

I already ordered everything, saw no reason to get more than home edition. Hope i dont have compatability issues with any hardware. And ill always be able to buy (download <.<) any software i need. Muhahaha! :)

Back