Building my very first gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi i just want some feedback on what you guys think of my gaming rig that i am going to build soon. This is the very first time i am building a gaming rig so i am new to all of this stuff and help would be greatly appreciated. here is what i plan on buying:

motherboard:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3940040

video card:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4037096

cpu:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3826349

case + psu (combo):
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4252496

optical drive:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3986421&CatId=89

hard drive:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3255389&CatId=139

OS: Windows vista 64 bit ( heard of many problems though)

I have not decided what cpu cooler i am going to use and i also am not sure how many 120mm/80mm fans to buy. I am going to use my 512 mb kingston ram (x2) and my 1g Kingston ram (x1) from my old pc. hopefully im not missing anything! thanks!

Holy cow! Nice setup! The one and only suggestion I would make to you is a hard drive with more space. Seagate Barracuda is my favorite. If you can find a 500GB or 750GB, I would go for that. Or...a couple of 500GB drives.

That's a very expensive gaming PC. I'd recommend these parts instead. They're cheaper but just as high-quality as the ones you've picked:

The motherboard supports Crossfire and is an excellent overclocker, and you don't really need to pay the extra cash for the Deluxe version. The E8400 is a better buy than the E8500 due to the E8500 being more expensive for a very marginal increase in frequency. The PSU is better than the Ultra PSU in the case + PSU combo you picked and the case is decent, with a nice number of fans.

That's a very expensive gaming PC. I'd recommend these parts instead. They're cheaper but just as high-quality as the ones you've picked:

The motherboard supports Crossfire and is an excellent overclocker, and you don't really need to pay the extra cash for the Deluxe version. The E8400 is a better buy than the E8500 due to the E8500 being more expensive for a very marginal increase in frequency. The PSU is better than the Ultra PSU in the case + PSU combo you picked and the case is decent, with a nice number of fans.

thanks for the tips. i think i will listen to you and go with the E8400 instead because i can just overclock it. i think i am going to keep the motherboard because i would much rather prefer to have a high end motherboard so i know it will last a while, i am also going to stay with the same graphics card. i have decided to also listen to you in getting the corsair psu but im not too fond of the case. i heard it is not very big and reviews weren't very good. so i am not quite sure what case i should get now. i want to get one that will fit everything good. thanks for all the suggestions and don't be afraid to give more! thanks.

The motherboard is not really high-end as such, it just has a better NB heatsink, which is not worth the increase in price IMO. It isn't even an X48 motherboard, which is what I would expect for such a high price.

And why go with a Diamond HD 4870 that is also more expensive than the much better Sapphire variant? Diamond is not as good a manufacturer as Sapphire, HIS and Visiontek.

As for the case, the Antec Nine Hundred is a fantastic case with excellent cooling and great looks to match.

The motherboard is not really high-end as such, it just has a better NB heatsink, which is not worth the increase in price IMO. It isn't even an X48 motherboard, which is what I would expect for such a high price.

And why go with a Diamond HD 4870 that is also more expensive than the much better Sapphire variant? Diamond is not as good a manufacturer as Sapphire, HIS and Visiontek.

As for the case, the Antec Nine Hundred is a fantastic case with excellent cooling and great looks to match.

i have done some research about the motherboard, and i think you were right. so i am going to go with the p5q pro, which will make my rig much cheaper. i am also going with the antec nine hundred case it seems to have very good reviews and ratings and is pretty cheap. i am not sure if i should get the 4870 512 mb or the 4870 1g though.. my monitor is only 17 inches, but i plan on upgrading it in the future.

If you're building a new rig why dont you just wait. You can soon buy a x58 board with a new cpu in less than a month for around 1K usd or so. If you want to buy something high end that is.

That's right supersmashbrada, but DDR3 RAM will still be pretty expensive mate. That'd push up the cost by a lot methinks.

@futbol94, if you're looking to upgrade the monitor soon and are willing to spend that much money, why not just grab a GTX 280 instead? It'd be very fast for almost any resolution you run it at.

Rage, while you're here, would it be better to get 280gtx for quad sli vs 4870 x2 Xfire(4 cards), for my x58 upgrade at the end of this month.

i don't think I'm gonna wait for the x58 because I'm kinda on a budget of about 800-$1000 maybe a bit higher. so I'm gonna stay with the p5q pro, and also i think I'm gonna get the sapphire 4870 graphics card, maybe ill wait a couple of months for the price to go down..

@supersmashbrada, I'm not too sure what you meant by Quad-SLI with the GTX 280, but I personally find a single 4870X2 to be fast enough for anything. I could've bought another, but I wouldn't get a performance increase that would justify the added cost.

i meant 4 gtx280s on the "MSI" board that hasnt been released yet, or some 4870 x2's on the same board.

Ah, I just checked it out on bit-tech. Nah, I still think one 4870X2 oughta be enough, at least until a dual-GPU version of the GTX 280 shows up, which is rumored to be arriving around next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back