Building new computer. Your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
So heres the deal. I've got about 600-700 dollars to burn and I want to build a new computer. I'm looking for a mid range gaming computer. I have the following from my last build which I can use.

case
2 harddrives (use ide cables though so i might upgrade anyway)
cd/dvd rewritable drive
mouse
keyboard
monitor
speakers

I really need help picking the rest of the parts. I want to go with an Nvidia video card this time instead of ATI. I initially wanted to get an AMD processor but I've heard reports that they are really starting to get behind Intel now. As for picking a motherboard, well that one I am totally clueless. Any ideas on what I should do?

For a mid range gaming computer, I'd recommend a few general things:

First, using just a single graphics card. Some jokers will come in here telling you to get an SLI motherboard "just in case", but like I said, they're jokers.

Stick with DDR2. DDR3 is still a very new technology, it costs too much, and performs as well as DDR2 at best at the moment (value wise). Good DDR2 mobos would be the 650i or the 965P range. Personally I went with the 965P, but really, both are pretty good.

Decide on AMD or Intel. Intel holds the performance crown, and I think would be a good choice. Stick with something with more cache, the E6320 should be the best bet at that price range.

And since this is a gaming computer, you'd want to sink as much money into the graphics card as possible.

Also, you might want to tell us if you're going to overclock.

I'm sure someone else will come up with a whole list of specific components to buy, but most of them don't tell you why you should be choosing that component instead of another, which is what this post is all about.

My recommendation?
E6320
Gigabyte 965P-DS3
Corsair Twinx2048 PC6400 C5 (2gb 800mhz RAM) (you might want to get some cheaper RAM if the budget doesn't add up)
Antec 550W PSU (You'd need a good power supply to power a good computer)
The biggest baddest graphics card you can afford after buying all the above. It'd be good to get the 320mb 8800GTS if you can afford it.

This is just a guideline, I'll let someone else **** in with cheaper alternatives.

Thx guys. I probably wouldn't be doing any overclocking, I'm not that computer savy yet. Right now I'm more concerned with just building a computer that doesnt shut down randomly every few minutes (my current computer has reached its last days) I guess I'll probably go with intel too

Well, that above configuration should leave overclocking as an option if you feel like doing it later.

Jesus H wotsits...!!!:eek: Thats one heck of a deal mate. P35 chipset too, so future proofed for DDR3. Go fetch!

IMO the RAM speed won't make that much of a difference. Besides, the mobo also supports DDR2 667 & 800MHz memory. So no problems if he wants to upgrade to faster RAM in the future. A great PC, future-proof and within your budget.

If you mean shipping, then I don't think it'd cost too much, since TigerDirect ships from their warehouse in Illinois to wherever you live, via UPS. So depending on where you live, you might get it sooner than you expect and the shipping might also be cheaper.

Okay so I kind of went over my limit but its no big deal. This isnt final but heres a list of the parts I was thinking of choosing. Thx for the help so far though. Any thoughts about this?

Video Card:MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256E-OC GeForce 8600GTS 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Over Clock Edition HDCP Video Card - Retail

PSU:Thermaltake Purepower RX W0144RU ATX12V / EPS12V 600W Power Supply - Retail

RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail

Mobo: MSI P6N SLI Platinum LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6420 Conroe 2.13GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6420 - Retail

CPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819115016

Mobo:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813130081

PSU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16817153049

Video Card:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814127284

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820145034

I'd rather you pair that 8600GTS with the barebones system I recommended earlier, and throw in a gig more of the same Ultra RAM from TigerDirect. Add in that Thermaltake PSU and you have an excellent system on your hands.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Barebones PC
Intel DP35DPM Socket 775 Barebone Kit / Intel Q6600 2.40GHz OEM / 200GB HDD OEM / 1GB DDR2 PC4200 / ATX Mid-Tower Case with a 500 Watt Power Supply

Video Card
HIS Radeon X1650 Pro iSilence II / 256MB GDDR3 / PCI Express / Dual DVI / HDTV / CrossFire Ready / Video Card

A good mid-range PC for your needs. You can throw in a sound card too (I recommend the Audigy Value 7.1) if you need it, but I think the onboard sound will be enough.

rage _3k_moiz
:grinthumb that is freaking sweet for the price

Sorry to jump into the thread but you guys were talking about quad core, I'm building a quad core pc at the moment and was wondering what would be a good motherboard to run it on, going to be powering a 8800gts 640mb and possibly sli in future? Also I have Crucial Ballistix 8500 ram I want to run.

Sorry.......

I was probably a bit to cryptic when I posted the link to Newegg's Q6600. As of a day or so ago the Q6600 was $300.00. When everybody suddenly decided they had to be the first kid on their block to have one, Newegg somewhat avariciously gassed the price in three steps to $375.00. Somewhat rude methinks.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
I'd rather you pair that 8600GTS with the barebones system I recommended earlier, and throw in a gig more of the same Ultra RAM from TigerDirect. Add in that Thermaltake PSU and you have an excellent system on your hands.

Your suggestion is quite tempting but after adding up the total after getting the extra RAM, video card, PSU, and shipping, I would spend $984 bucks as opposed to $760 with the other setup. Its too far out of my budget :( . Plus I already have a case and hard drive I can use. Maybe someone else can jump on that deal though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back