Status
Not open for further replies.
how does this sound so far?

MAXTOP CSX-147K2F-GF-USB-GRAY (case)
MAXTOR 40GB 7200RPM Model # 6L040J2 - OEM, DRIVE
CRUCIAL MICRON 256MB 32x64 PC 2100 DDR RAM -
EPOX EP-8KHA+ VIA Apollo KT266A (VT8366A) 200/266
AMD ATHLON XP 1800+/266 FSB PROCESSOR CPU - OEM 1

still thinking on psu and hsf. Any recommendations?

First off, what are you going to be doing with your computer? It's the most important question when considering upgrading your system.
What do you want out of the PSU? Are you going to be using alot of fans? You need a high voltage rated one for that. Do you want it to be quiet? Several of Enermax's Whisper line will be fabulous. Some also have dual fans, which is very cool.
HSF. I'd reccomend getting a good one, it very well extends the life of your CPU by taking your temperatures down. Taisol is my favorite brand, and you can find a thread (by me) on the issue of it from the old forums. I would have a link but the old forums oddly enough won't load.
Ever consider getting a water cooled system?
Other than that, your current selection looks awful good, although I'd reccomend a better case (simply because I've never heard of the brand Maxtop, but it doesn't mean they're not good), maybe Lian-Li, they make good cases.

If you can't afford a nice expensive case dont' worry too much. Just look for one that has adequate room and has at least 1 fan spot in the front and 1 in the back (not counting the PSU). You just need to look and see if you think air can move through fairly unobstructed. Rounded IDE/SCSI cables help with airflow since they don't block too much air.
You can always modify your case to put a blowhole or a side fan or something.
Just something to consider if you are stretching your budget.

What about video card? That wasn't really mentioned.

Also, consider the sound card/speakers? Since this is a gaming rig, all three of these are important (video card the most).
Some people might tell you otherwise, but I still like Creative for sound cards. Their new Audigy cards kick a**, and the new 24-bit sound is incredible on a nice 4.1 Klipsch set of speakers.

Also, you can make your own rounded cables, don't listen to the people that tell you they are easy to screw up. I made a floopy, and to ATA-100 cables for mine, and they look alright, they were cheap, and weren't to time consuming. Of course, newegg.com also has them...

MAXTOP CSX-147K2F-GF-USB-GRAY (case)
Case looks good from the pic. Make sure it has space to fit a blower at the back of the casing.

MAXTOR 40GB 7200RPM Model # 6L040J2 - OEM, DRIVE
Seems fine since you'll be gaming and that'll leave you with plenty of space ;) Make sure you find out that there isn't any oddities with that model. I've got a 20GB Maxtor and somehow my benchmarks aren't really impressive. The Maxtor I have scores lower than a UDMA66 hard drive.

CRUCIAL MICRON 256MB 32x64 PC 2100 DDR RAM
Works for everyone :D

EPOX EP-8KHA+ VIA Apollo KT266A (VT8366A) 200/266
A decent board (I've got one :D). But you may want to check out the KT333 version from EPOX just in case. If you have any probs with the 8KHA+, check out this link:

http://www.amdmb.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79836

AMD ATHLON XP 1800+/266 FSB PROCESSOR CPU - OEM 1
Shouldn't be a problem there. Should give you enuf power to last at least a year or so :D

still thinking on psu and hsf. Any recommendations?
I'll quote what the others have said: Get a good one ;) Not sure which ones are good currently, but you can get a lot of reviews here http://www.mikhailtech.com/articles.shtml under the Heatsinks section.

Happy building!

Re: Re: Building new computer

Originally posted by lokem

Seems fine since you'll be gaming and that'll leave you with plenty of space ;) Make sure you find out that there isn't any oddities with that model. I've got a 20GB Maxtor and somehow my benchmarks aren't really impressive. The Maxtor I have scores lower than a UDMA66 hard drive.

If thats in PCMark2002 from www.madonion.com then I wouldn't worry about it as it is still a bit buggy at the moment. My laptop PII gets detected as a Celeron by that benchmark program.
Check it out with Sisoft Sandra which is a more established overall benchmark system that should give you a proper idea of how your drive compares with others...

Re: Re: Re: Building new computer

I did check with SiSoft Sandra 2001. It has been confirmed by another friend of mine. At first I thought it was a VIA problem with the IDE driver, but he tried it on an Intel platform and he got the same readings.

I would suggest an Enermax PSU. Preferably the 431w model. I believe the model number is EG465P-VE. I have one and if I needed another one I would buy that one instantly.

Also, if you are going to buy a HSF, get one that is reasonably quiet. I just pulled the 80mm Delta fan out of my system because I couldnt stand the noise any longer. I would recommend the new Thermaltake Volcano 7 that has the variable fan control. The hotter the system gets the faster the fan spins. If you have good ventilation in your case that HSF should be quiet most of the time. Check out the HSF's here: http://www.coolerguys.com/cpucool/duron.shtml

I agree with svtcobra on getting an Enermax PS. I have a Enermax Whisper 350W power supple in my system and it is quite as ever with two fans blowing in it!

Also, I agree that you should get a fan that is quite. I read tons of posts about how people throw their deltas and whatnot away because of the noise. If your not looking to overclock them you really need not get an expensive heatsink and fan. I use the stock AMD heatsink and fan that came with my CPU and can still overclock quite well. On the other hand if you are overclocking then it is essential that you have the best cooling possible on your CPU.

Here is an older article that tells about a ton of heatsinks:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q2/010521/index.html

The newer Volcano 7 and Deltas and Alphas are outperforming these older fans and heatsinks, but hopefully this article is a start! :)

Yes, that case looks very good, effective with cooling. I don't see anything wrong with it, with the fan on the side and on top.
I like the USB ports on the front!
Does it come with a power supply? If so, what model and rating?

Originally posted by Vehementi

I like the USB ports on the front!

I agree! That's a nice thing to have nowadays! BTW, make sure the case has removable motherboard tray. It makes installation/modifications a whole lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back