Built new system, XP Pro SP2 runs very choppy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTacy

Hey, having some problems with this system I built. This may need to go under the hardware section.

Today I put together a new system using an MSI K7N2 Delta 2 motherboard and AMD Sempron 3000+ processor. Using a single 512MB stick of Kingston DDR400 RAM. Also threw in a new Geforce 4 video card while I was in there, and re-used my old drives and ethernet card.

Installed XP Pro from my install disc with no service pack included, then installed SP2.

Everything runs OK, except Windows is VERY choppy. The resources max out whenever I load ANY program (then drop again after the program loads) and also maxes out when copying data or multitasking. Really anything that needs an immediate hit on the HD or memory causes this choppiness. I call this more of a choppiness than a slowdown since it is quick and intermittent. The mouse drags, text shows up on the screen in chunks instead of as I type it, and the sound gets very garbled.

This is annoying the crap out of me. This is only the second system I have ever built from scratch, though I've done plenty of work on them before. I talked to the guy who got me the components, he owns a computer shop and built dozens of PC's with these same parts I used, and has never run into anything like this. He is stumped, as is another friend of mine who frequently builds and repairs PC's.

Suggestions?

Did you install the motherboard drivers? They should have come on a disk with the board or you can get the latest unified driver pack from nvidia.com

Yes, I installed the mobo drivers multiple times. Also downloaded updated drivers from the website and installed. Made absolutely no difference.

No conflicts or problems in device manager. Everything appears to be fine, that's why this has me so stumped.

Have you checked to see what setting your hard drive is? pio mode / Dma if possible, in the device manager. Is bios seeing the correct amount of ram in the system?

That was it. A good friend of mine just got back into town and suggested that, and BAM, took care of it right away. Came here to say I solved the problem, and found that last post. Thanks for the help people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back