Burn: rental camera gear destroyed by the solar eclipse

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A heavy emphasis was put on the importance of protecting eyeballs leading up to the recent solar eclipse, and rightfully so. Sadly, some people didn’t get the memo that pointing your camera at the sun without special protection is also a bad idea.

The camera rental company saw an uptick in gear rentals leading up to the solar eclipse and warned customers that solar filters must be attached to the end of their lenses to protect the lens elements and camera sensors from damage.

When the celestial event passed and returns started flowing in, LensRentals noticed that some of its gear had been damaged by the sun. In a recent blog post, the company shared photos of some of the damaged hardware which included melted sensors, burnt shutter systems, mirror damage and more.

LensRentals said it was really impressed with how few pieces of gear they got back damaged. Unfortunately, the company views the damage as neglect because customers were warned about the danger associated with pointing an unprotected camera at the sun.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Images courtesy LensRentals

Permalink to story.

Well, standard electric arc welding filers, ( #10 (questionable) but absolutely #12) could have been used to view the eclipse. As a matter of fact, I had that figured out way back during the last eclipse, I think it was 1979.

And yeah, you could have popped one of the filters out of the helmet, and put it over your camera lens.

As a matter of general knowledge, a high amperage electric arc welder generates an arc as bright as the sun. You have to get that helmet down in a big, big, hurry, when you strike an arc, or you'll be seeing 'stars' for days.

And FWIW, in spite of all the blather coming out of pro astronomers about how big an event an eclipse is, most of their telescopes are equipped with an 'eclipse disc', and they can view the sun's corona, pretty much anytime the mood strikes. Here ya go... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronagraph

During the total darkness phase was the only time is was reasonably safe to point a camera at the eclipse without protective lenses and even then, there was certain risk being taken. The key to protection was to take a photo or two, turn the camera away, then turn it back and take a few more. Those that trained their camera on the moon the entire time simply did not pay attention to the many, many, many warnings. We were lucky enough to have four NASA scientists at our site and then gave us a great 15 minute briefing before anything started, which certainly saved my own equipment and many others too. Thanks to their generosity!

Who would have thought pointing precision optical systems at a distant nuclear explosion would have been dangerous?

Who would have thought pointing precision optical systems at a distant nuclear explosion would have been dangerous?
Especially in light of the fact you can set a piece of paper on fire, by focusing the sun's light through an ordinary magnifying glass.

I haven't heard anything quite this stupid, since the urban legends of the 60's & 70's, of people tripping on LSD, and going blind from staring at the sun. And really, who knows if those were just fables.

Although, since the sun is a million miles in diameter, and the whole thing is a massive atomic fusion reaction, credit where credit is due, dictates that we call it, "a nuclear holocaust"...

Well, standard electric arc welding filers, ( #10 (questionable) but absolutely #12) could have been used to view the eclipse. As a matter of fact, I had that figured out way back during the last eclipse, I think it was 1979.

And yeah, you could have popped one of the filters out of the helmet, and put it over your camera lens.

As a matter of general knowledge, a high amperage electric arc welder generates an arc as bright as the sun. You have to get that helmet down in a big, big, hurry, when you strike an arc, or you'll be seeing 'stars' for days.

And FWIW, in spite of all the blather coming out of pro astronomers about how big an event an eclipse is, most of their telescopes are equipped with an 'eclipse disc', and they can view the sun's corona, pretty much anytime the mood strikes. Here ya go... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronagraph
You could also overlay two monochrome negatives from your old fashioned photos if you still have them and gaze at the eclipse for however long it lasts. I remember doing it that way as a youngster. Worked like a treat.

All CCD cameras come with the warning on not allowing direct viewing of the Sun as it WILL destroy the light sensitive device.
I honestly can't see what the attraction of taking pictures of a partial eclipse was anyway. It's stupid nonsense anyway, like the people who come out blasting away at an ice show with an iPhone....you see hat tiny little dot? That's Kristy Yamaguchi.

Same thing for an eclipse. Unless you'have a lens in excess of 600mm (for 35mm full frame an smaller sensors), and totality, the photos would be a waste anyway. (IMHO captaincranky AAS photography).

Surprised it wasn't higher. Will be interesting to see how many smartphone cameras were damaged, by "selfies".
My general rule is if I can't look at it, without a filter over my eyes, I'm damn sure not pointing my expensive dSLR at it!

Stupid is as stupid does...

#14 or darker welder's glass is recommended for viewing with the naked eye.

Easily anticipated comment from Cranky - - nothing's good enough unless HE says it is. :sigh:
?Et tu Brute?

You could very easily slap a filter on your camera, or take a ordinary shot of the sky, (sun must be out, of course), then photoshop a black disc over it, while using the "levels" slider, to darken the image over all.

Which IMHO, is better than standing in a field for hours, surrounded by a bunch of half-wits, setting fire to their cell phone cameras. Why, I'd rather be right here on the internet with you @jobread ! :)

In case you missed it, courtesy of NASA:
650665main_hinode-eclipse-orig_full.jpg

NASA apparently didn't/doesn't think stomping around in the middle of a field while destroying thousands of dollars worth of rented photographic gear is/was the right approach either...:p

Last edited:
Back