Buying a custom gaming pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shadowrane

Hey all. I'm looking for some recommendations for, in your opinion, the best company to buy a custom gaming pc from. I've looked on tons of sites, such a cnet, and every company i've looked into buying from has gotten negative reviews for having crappy tech help and such. I just want someone elses two cents on who they've have good dealings with, and above all which company is the best value for my money. Tech support isnt that big of deal with me anyway.

And i know i could build my own for much less, but i'm too lazy :zzz: :) The companies i have so far are:

Cyberpower
Dell ( ;) )
Alienware
ABS
Velocity Micro
Polywell
iBUYPOWER

Don't buy from Alienware. If you want to spend more money, go for Falcon. If you want to spend less, Cyberpower system. Here is a good computer at cyberpowersystem

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/cfga64x2.asp?v=d

$1248.00

CASE : Raidmax Sagitta Mid-Tower 420W Gaming Case w/ Side Panel Window (BLACK COLOR)
CPU : (939-pin) AMD Athlon™64 X2 4200+ Dual-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
MOTHERBOARD : (Sckt939)Asus A8N-E nForce4 Chipset SATA133 RAID PCI-E w/GbLAN,USB2.0,&7.1Audio
MEMORY : 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)
VIDEO CARD : ATI RADEON X850 XT 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD
VIDEO CARD 2 : NONE
LCD Monitor : NONE
HARD DRIVE : Gaming Hard Drive (10,000RPM SATA150) (SATA150 - Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM 8MB Cache WD740GD)
Hard Drive 2 : NONE
Optical Drive : (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BEIGE COLOR)
Optical Drive 2 : NONE
SOUND : Creative Labs SB AUDIGY 4 SE

Here is a good one from Falcon

http://www.falcon-nw.com/config2/build.asp
Just change it from 512MB to 1024MB of memory.

alienware has horrible customer support.

Why buy? You can build your own, customize it with more stuff for far less.

plus you learn a lot.

Tedster said:
alienware has horrible customer support.

Why buy? You can build your own, customize it with more stuff for far less.

plus you learn a lot.

Absolutely spot on Tedster. I couldn`t agree with you more.

Shadowrane. If you build a computer yourself, you`ll get a lot more bang for your buck and it really isn`t that difficult.

But hey, at the end of the day it`s your call.

Regards Howard :)

Yeah, i've been thinking about building my own. I've decided i'm not as lazy i think i am :slurp:

Can anyone point me to some good guides or sites for building your own, or if anyone has any tips, that'd be great too! I'm probably looking at a budget of $2000, might be a bit more or a bit less, but thats what i'm looking at now.

Thanks! I never really thought about it, but as i dont have all the money right now, it would be alot easier and cheaper to buy parts as i get the money.

Also, what online stores do you recommend i buy from? Newegg?

Im going to make a movie with my next puter, "On How to Build a Puter"

A short noobafied easy to understand movie.

Comming soon!!!

haha, sounds good, i think the biggest part that i get a little nervous is setting up the bracket that holds the cpu hsf assembly, cant apply too much pressure and you'll crack the mobo.

Since you'll build:

AMD X2 4200+
X1900XT(X) 512MB
Corsair ValueSelect/XMS 2048MB Memory
Antec TruePowerII 550W Power supply
Choose your case
Choose your optical drive
Choose your floppy drive

Yeah, that build sounds good. I might pay more to get a X2 4400 or 4600, or even a 4800. And is the X1900XTX (why so many x's? :dead: ) better than Nvidia's 7900 GTX? Or about the same?

But everything else sounds good. Corsair memory, Antec power supply, etc, etc. And with the case, do most cases fit all the different types of mobo's and power supplies?

the X1900 is better than the 7900. 48 pixel shaders vs. 24 in the GeForce. However the 1900 is a lot more expensive. It is currently at the top of most video card lists. Both the 7900 and the X1900 at high end video cards though.

Shadowrane said:
Yeah, i've been thinking about building my own. I've decided i'm not as lazy i think i am :slurp:

Can anyone point me to some good guides or sites for building your own, or if anyone has any tips, that'd be great too! I'm probably looking at a budget of $2000, might be a bit more or a bit less, but thats what i'm looking at now.

u do need the experiance because if u ever need to upgrade u dont have to pay for a store to send someone out to ur house to help u

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back